Happy 10th Anniversary, Steve!

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
On this day 10 years ago, I welcomed my darling Steve into my life. :<3: He came into my hands from a college friend whose family could no longer care for him. He was named by my friend's younger brother, in honor of Steve Irwin. He looked like he had been brought to me straight from Petco, in a 40-gallon tank, with pine bark chips for substrate, and some dangerously shaped food dishes. I fell in love quite quickly. At first, Steve was very shy and terrified of a new place, but I think he soon realized he was in charge.

In honor of our anniversary, I've been looking through some older photos of him. Here are a couple photos which are most likely the first ones I took of him.

IMG_2170.JPG

Steve.jpg

Here was his original glass tank:

IMG_2174.JPG

With the help of this forum and The Tortoise Table, I improved his lighting and replaced the pine bark mulch substrate. Over time, I was able to provide him with a better diet, new and larger enclosures (1 and 2), his own bedroom, and his own outdoor garden. And now as my husband and I look to the future and our next house, I'm already planning bigger and better enclosures for him. So from the bottom of our hearts, my husband, Steve, and I thank everyone on the forum for helping our family over these past 10 years! :<3:

Here are some of my favorite Steve photos. Nap time:

IMG_2300_2.jpg

Checking out a new poster of his favorite Red Wing, Pavel Datsyuk. I still keep this "poster" in his room.

IMG_2465.JPG

IMG_2467.JPG

Busting through the side of his timothy hay tunnel.

IMG_2612.JPG

IMG_2807.JPG

One of his first outdoor excursions (in my parents' backyard).

0914001611.jpg

Steve's interesting sleeping positions!

IMG_2951.JPG

Sleeping.png

The "windmill" position.

windmill1.jpg

Attacking his favorite treat: the dandelion.

stevie_noms.jpg

In his stegosaurus Halloween costume.

0612151611.jpg

Steve even dressed up as the ring-bearer for our wedding.

Ringbearer-small.jpg

Steve quickly made his way into my heart. His presence in my life over these past 10 years has helped me get through some really difficult moments. For my husband and me, Steve is our son. Through Steve, we've shared a new hobby together: gardening and a love for plants. It's been a wonderful first decade with him and I hope the next one is just as magical! :<3::tort:

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
On this day 10 years ago, I welcomed my darling Steve into my life. :<3: He came into my hands from a college friend whose family could no longer care for him. He was named by my friend's younger brother, in honor of Steve Irwin. He looked like he had been brought to me straight from Petco, in a 40-gallon tank, with pine bark chips for substrate, and some dangerously shaped food dishes. I fell in love quite quickly. At first, Steve was very shy and terrified of a new place, but I think he soon realized he was in charge.

In honor of our anniversary, I've been looking through some older photos of him. Here are a couple photos which are most likely the first ones I took of him.

View attachment 282885

View attachment 282888

Here was his original glass tank:

View attachment 282886

With the help of this forum and The Tortoise Table, I improved his lighting and replaced the pine bark mulch substrate. Over time, I was able to provide him with a better diet, new and larger enclosures (1 and 2), his own bedroom, and his own outdoor garden. And now as my husband and I look to the future and our next house, I'm already planning bigger and better enclosures for him. So from the bottom of our hearts, my husband, Steve, and I thank everyone on the forum for helping our family over these past 10 years! :<3:

Here are some of my favorite Steve photos. Nap time:

View attachment 282887

Checking out a new poster of his favorite Red Wing, Pavel Datsyuk. I still keep this "poster" in his room.

View attachment 282899

View attachment 282889

Busting through the side of his timothy hay tunnel.

View attachment 282890

View attachment 282894

One of his first outdoor excursions (in my parents' backyard).

View attachment 282898

Steve's interesting sleeping positions!

View attachment 282895

View attachment 282897

The "windmill" position.

View attachment 282902

Attacking his favorite treat: the dandelion.

View attachment 282901

In his stegosaurus Halloween costume.

View attachment 282900

Steve even dressed up as the ring-bearer for our wedding.

View attachment 282896

Steve quickly made his way into my heart. His presence in my life over these past 10 years has helped me get through some really difficult moments. For my husband and me, Steve is our son. Through Steve, we've shared a new hobby together: gardening and a love for plants. It's been a wonderful first decade with him and I hope the next one is just as magical! :<3::tort:

Nice update & chronology! And many more to go.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
What a great post. Steve is lucky to have you and I am sure you feel lucky to have him.