Happy Adoption Day, Tenzin!

Kaeloni

Location (City and/or State)
Montana
Yeah that sounds like a good setup. With just one turtle you’ll probably be able to go weeks and maybe even months without cleaning the filter or water changes (but you will need to add water). It can last longer if you feed your turtle in a separate tank/container because they’re messy eaters, but I’m way too lazy for that. When I clean the filter (like once a month) I take out all the sponge pieces and spray them down with a hose and I try to follow the recommendations on the packaging for replacing the carbon or ammonia filters. Winter it rough because I usually won’t clean the filter for about 3 months because I can’t take everything outside to clean really well so I just do water changes during winter.

Thanks for explaining that to me. Do I need a water heater as well? I’ll have a uva/uvb and heat bulb. I want to get everything ordered this weekend. I plan on keeping it fairly simple and clean, similar to your setup. Bare bottom, floating dock and maybe something decorative. I wouldn’t mind a couple aquatic plants but wouldn’t I need something on the bottom to have plants?

Chloebark

Northern Indiana
Thanks for explaining that to me. Do I need a water heater as well? I’ll have a uva/uvb and heat bulb. I want to get everything ordered this weekend. I plan on keeping it fairly simple and clean, similar to your setup. Bare bottom, floating dock and maybe something decorative. I wouldn’t mind a couple aquatic plants but wouldn’t I need something on the bottom to have plants?

I used to not have a water heater then one of my turtles got a respiratory infection and I learned warmer water is good. I use these types of heaters TetraFauna Aquatic Reptile Heater For Frogs, Newts & Turtles https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000IWXHMI/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20 because they are caged and are a little harder to break. I also use a submersible thermometer to check that the water stays around 78. If it’s too warm they may not want to get out and bask, which they need to do! Too cold and they can get sick. Plastic plants are fine, I had one in mine and they just try to eat it and tear it apart. I’d recommend real safe water plants if any but they’ll eat it all! The bare bottom makes cleaning so easy! If you want anything in the bottom you would need large river rocks because they will eat pebbles and sand. I have a large piece of fake driftwood in the tank now which they love to use to stick their heads out of the water.

IMG_1536347102.203674.jpg
IMG_1536347116.697538.jpgIMG_1536347132.971067.jpg

Kaeloni

Montana
Awesome pictures! I’m feeling a bit overwhelmed. I’ll get a water heater. Is it acceptable to put a double dome light fixture on a screen tank lid? Or do I need a fish tank style lid? Or something else completely?

Chloebark

Northern Indiana
Awesome pictures! I’m feeling a bit overwhelmed. I’ll get a water heater. Is it acceptable to put a double dome light fixture on a screen tank lid? Or do I need a fish tank style lid? Or something else completely?

Haha it seems very overwhelming at first but once you’re started it’s pretty easy. The screen should be fine, but remember that the light will be right at the top of the tank so the water level needs to be low enough so that when they bask they aren’t roasting! That’s why I recommend the tank stand light fixture because you can adjust it to different heights and have more water in the tank. But I do think a screen would be ok I just know you would need less water.

Chloebark

Northern Indiana
And I use the mercury vapor bulb with just one light fixture with all of that because it provides UVB and heat so you don’t need two separate bulbs with two separate fixtures.

Kaeloni

Montana
Haha it seems very overwhelming at first but once you’re started it’s pretty easy. The screen should be fine, but remember that the light will be right at the top of the tank so the water level needs to be low enough so that when they bask they aren’t roasting! That’s why I recommend the tank stand light fixture because you can adjust it to different heights and have more water in the tank. But I do think a screen would be ok I just know you would need less water.

I’ve decided on the turtle I’m getting! I’ve had my heart set on it for a while and if I’m going to do this I may as well get the turtle I want. Im getting a baby cagle’s map turtle! Since I’m getting a baby and a species that stays small, could I start off using a 20 gallon with a less expensive filter? I still want a good filter but is the 406 required? I’m only asking because my husband is starting to pull back as I tell him everything I need.

Kaeloni

Montana
And I use the mercury vapor bulb with just one light fixture with all of that because it provides UVB and heat so you don’t need two separate bulbs with two separate fixtures.

I use a powersun bulb for my tortoises. Is that the bulb you use?

Chloebark

Northern Indiana
I’ve decided on the turtle I’m getting! I’ve had my heart set on it for a while and if I’m going to do this I may as well get the turtle I want. Im getting a baby cagle’s map turtle! Since I’m getting a baby and a species that stays small, could I start off using a 20 gallon with a less expensive filter? I still want a good filter but is the 406 required? I’m only asking because my husband is starting to pull back as I tell him everything I need.

When I got my first turtle it was a baby red eared slider. I bought him for $10 in Chinatown in Chicago (gimme a break I was 19). They were telling people they could live their whole lives in these dinky plastic carrying containers (it is the first pic I posted in this thread of Tenzin). Now I knew that was a total lie and many turtles were being sent to their deaths and I started mine out in a 10 gallon with a cheap turtle filter that sat in the bottom of the tiny tank. I think it was that way for a year then upgraded to a 40, then 75, and now 125. I think if you’re getting a baby you would be fine to start in a 20 gallon with a much smaller filter, just understand that you’ll need to upgrade as the turtle grows. I have learned so much these past 6 years so I’m telling you everything that I’m doing NOW. I would imagine a full grown turtle could be ok living in a 75 gallon but I’m not educated on the species you’ve selected so look into how large than can get. Double check to see if they prefer basking or swimming. I think if you start out small it will give you time to learn and to slowly adjust and upgrade as needed.

Edit: for the 10 gallon I had in the beginning I set the light fixtures on top of a screen for it. The only issue I have with such a small tank is that there’s no water for the turtle to swim in. I have some videos of our old tanks on YouTube I can post here if you’d like...I’m going to warn you though my boyfriend spiffed them up and they are way more elaborate than what is needed....

Last edited:

Chloebark

Northern Indiana
I use a powersun bulb for my tortoises. Is that the bulb you use?

IMG_1536349507.909303.jpg

Here’s a pic of the stand that I use for my tortoise. It has a mercury vapor bulb in it, there are different brands with different watts, I believe this s a powersun 100 watt.

IMG_1536349558.123637.jpg

This is what I ended up doing for the new 125 gallon because the stand aren’t tall enough for these taller tanks. I drilled an outdoor plant hanger from Lowe’s into the wall and hooked up the light, which is also a mercury vapor bulb.

Kaeloni

Montana
When I got my first turtle it was a baby red eared slider. I bought him for $10 in Chinatown in Chicago (gimme a break I was 19). They were telling people they could live their whole lives in these dinky plastic carrying containers (it is the first pic I posted in this thread of Tenzin). Now I knew that was a total lie and many turtles were being sent to their deaths and I started mine out in a 10 gallon with a cheap turtle filter that sat in the bottom of the tiny tank. I think it was that way for a year then upgraded to a 40, then 75, and now 125. I think if you’re getting a baby you would be fine to start in a 20 gallon with a much smaller filter, just understand that you’ll need to upgrade as the turtle grows. I have learned so much these past 6 years so I’m telling you everything that I’m doing NOW. I would imagine a full grown turtle could be ok living in a 75 gallon but I’m not educated on the species you’ve selected so look into how large than can get. Double check to see if they prefer basking or swimming. I think if you start out small it will give you time to learn and to slowly adjust and upgrade as needed.

The reason I chose this specific map turtle is because they stay relatively small. On all the care sheets I’ve read it says that adults can live in a 50 gallon tank. If it’s necessary for me to buy the 406 filter I will do it. But if there’s a different one that would be fine for a 20 or 40 gallon I would like to know.

Kaeloni

Montana
View attachment 250849

Here’s a pic of the stand that I use for my tortoise. It has a mercury vapor bulb in it, there are different brands with different watts, I believe this s a powersun 100 watt.

View attachment 250850

This is what I ended up doing for the new 125 gallon because the stand aren’t tall enough for these taller tanks. I drilled an outdoor plant hanger from Lowe’s into the wall and hooked up the light, which is also a mercury vapor bulb.

That’s awesome! I could easily do that.

Chloebark

Northern Indiana
The reason I chose this specific map turtle is because they stay relatively small. On all the care sheets I’ve read it says that adults can live in a 50 gallon tank. If it’s necessary for me to buy the 406 filter I will do it. But if there’s a different one that would be fine for a 20 or 40 gallon I would like to know.

For the price difference I don’t think it’d be worth it to get a smaller filter. Fluval have slightly smaller filters for at most $50 less but you would need to upgrade anyway so I think that may be the best to get. I didn’t realize they could stay in a 50 gallon I still have my 75 gallon maybe I’ll get one myself they sound cute...

Uh oh...

Kaeloni

Montana
For the price difference I don’t think it’d be worth it to get a smaller filter. Fluval have slightly smaller filters for at most $50 less but you would need to upgrade anyway so I think that may be the best to get. I didn’t realize they could stay in a 50 gallon I still have my 75 gallon maybe I’ll get one myself they sound cute...

Uh oh...

They’re so stinking cute! This is not my picture. It was posted by the seller.
IMG_8717.jpg

Kaeloni

Montana
Omg!!!!!
I’m going to show my boyfriend these and he’s going to get so mad at me for wanting another turtle. we had both decided no more...

I’m in trouble for just wanting 1! My husband is ready to shoot me.

Chloebark

Northern Indiana
I’m in trouble for just wanting 1! My husband is ready to shoot me.

I mean they’re easier than a dog and they’re fun to watch and they’re so cute. I hope he falls in love with whatever you end up getting!

Edit: boyfriend said absolutely no more water turtles.

Last edited:

vladimir

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
My setup is simlar to @Chloebark. I started off with two turtles in one aquarium, and 10 years later have three turtles in three different aquariums.

Initially I used a 20 gallon tank with an internal filter (one that clips on the top and hangs inside the aquarium and pulls the water in that way). I used one of those Reptifauna heaters. Over time my setup evolved and my basic setup in each aquarium is:

* Bare bottom tank (I had used sand for several years but it ultimately made keeping the tank clean more difficult)
* One large ZooMed turtle dock tied down to one end of the aquarium, mounted under:
* A Zoomed reptile Lamp Stand, containing a
* Mercury Vapor Bulb to provide heat and UV. The lamp stand is adjustable to allow or getting the temperatures right.
* A submersible water heater. I like the Aqueon Pro heaters as they're made of some kind of polymer and have never exploded on me :) Some heaters warn about getting them out of the water as they can overheat.
* Some kind of underwater hide for the turtles. As they got bigger, the pet store decorations got too pricey so I usually use a large PVC elbow or something like that
* Filter capable of doing 3x the tank capacity. Currently have a Fluval 406 for a 75g, a 406 for a 55g, and an XP-L / XP3 for a 55g.
* Timer for the lights so you don't have to turn them off and on every day.
* Optional - I like to provide an additional heat lamp with a purple night light to heat the dock when the lights are off.
* On the opposite side of the tank (not under the lamp stand/MVB) I use a traditional flourescent bulb to provide lighting. My tank hood has a plastic cover in front of the light here, so I don't bother with UVB bulbs as it would be blocked.
* I use one of the digital plastic thermometers with the remote plastic probe to keep an eye on water temps at all times.

I think that's the basic setup. Feed them daily, add water about weekly, and tend to the filter every few months depending on water quality.

Don't get overwhelmed - I'd say you absolutely need a water heater, filter, dock, and basking light first. You can always start smaller on some of these things to save money up front, just keep in mind that you will need to upgrade in the long run.

:)

Kaeloni

Montana
My setup is simlar to @Chloebark. I started off with two turtles in one aquarium, and 10 years later have three turtles in three different aquariums.

Initially I used a 20 gallon tank with an internal filter (one that clips on the top and hangs inside the aquarium and pulls the water in that way). I used one of those Reptifauna heaters. Over time my setup evolved and my basic setup in each aquarium is:

* Bare bottom tank (I had used sand for several years but it ultimately made keeping the tank clean more difficult)
* One large ZooMed turtle dock tied down to one end of the aquarium, mounted under:
* A Zoomed reptile Lamp Stand, containing a
* Mercury Vapor Bulb to provide heat and UV. The lamp stand is adjustable to allow or getting the temperatures right.
* A submersible water heater. I like the Aqueon Pro heaters as they're made of some kind of polymer and have never exploded on me :) Some heaters warn about getting them out of the water as they can overheat.
* Some kind of underwater hide for the turtles. As they got bigger, the pet store decorations got too pricey so I usually use a large PVC elbow or something like that
* Filter capable of doing 3x the tank capacity. Currently have a Fluval 406 for a 75g, a 406 for a 55g, and an XP-L / XP3 for a 55g.
* Timer for the lights so you don't have to turn them off and on every day.
* Optional - I like to provide an additional heat lamp with a purple night light to heat the dock when the lights are off.
* On the opposite side of the tank (not under the lamp stand/MVB) I use a traditional flourescent bulb to provide lighting. My tank hood has a plastic cover in front of the light here, so I don't bother with UVB bulbs as it would be blocked.
* I use one of the digital plastic thermometers with the remote plastic probe to keep an eye on water temps at all times.

I think that's the basic setup. Feed them daily, add water about weekly, and tend to the filter every few months depending on water quality.

Don't get overwhelmed - I'd say you absolutely need a water heater, filter, dock, and basking light first. You can always start smaller on some of these things to save money up front, just keep in mind that you will need to upgrade in the long run.

:)

Thank you. I think I need to slowly buy things and do it right the first time. I’m sure I’ll be able to find another turtle later on after I have everything. If I go out and spend $500+ right now my husband will be furious with me. I’m going to take a screen shot of the list you made and slowly cross things off it. Thank you!!

vladimir

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
Thank you. I think I need to slowly buy things and do it right the first time. I’m sure I’ll be able to find another turtle later on after I have everything. If I go out and spend $500+ right now my husband will be furious with me. I’m going to take a screen shot of the list you made and slowly cross things off it. Thank you!!
I can help out with Amazon links to the exact items I use once I get back to a computer.