Harvey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anastasia

5 Year Member
First, I wanted to share this photo of my little guy, Harvey, because I thought it was so cute how he was sleeping on his little rock like that! :)
harvey05.jpg

Secondly, I've had him for about a month now, and he seems to have grown a little since the last pics I posted, but the pyramiding looks like it's a bit worse now (in the picture, at least). How long before I should see some smooth growth?

drgnfly2265

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
FLORIDA
Harvey is a little cutie! I love the pic :D

The pyramiding can be caused by different things. What substrate are you using? Are you providing any humidity? And what are you feeding the little cutie?

Anastasia

5 Year Member
Harvey is on aspen shavings as I have trouble (allergy-wise) with the "dirt" type substrates. Ambient temps vary but are in the 70's, the basking spot is large and has several varying temps from low 90's up to low 100's. Harvey likes the hotter end of this. Harvey loves to climb into his little water dish and self-soak every day. I feed him mixed "spring" greens, as well as dandelions, with a little calcium, and he is a major pig! He has a UVB light, too (the basking light is one of those UV/basking combos). I take him outside sometimes (I have a nice pen for little tortoises that is safe and up off the ground) but I don't leave Harvey out there alone because he LOVES to try to climb everything and I left him out once and he fell over on his back in the sun and couldn't flip over - he really stinks at uprighting himself and he actually rubbed his little nose trying to flip over, luckily I was accustomed to checking on him often so caught it pretty quick. In fact, I flip him up off his back several times a day. I've taken out everything that I can that he climbs on, but you know, I can't take out the walls LOL He' s an active little stinker!

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I't will take a little while to start seeing the benefits of the better care you are proving, after a few months the changes should be very obvious...

What's are your humidity temps looking like?

Weda737

5 Year Member
NC
It seems to help to get the tops of their shells wet, I dribble water over my little guy every time I soak him, about twice a day. Do it long enough that the new growth looks a little lighter, think of it as a fingernail cuticle because that's pretty much what it is. Good luck with your little guy, and that snooze is supremely adorable.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I think harvey is a great name for a tortoise.

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
Very cute guy u have! Be patient, I think he will show improvment in a few months easily!

Status
Not open for further replies.