Hatchling abnormality?

Elohi

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Texas
The last hatchling that recently hatched out seems to have some sort of abnormality in his bite/lower jaw and I'm looking to see if anyone can recognize the issue and advise me a little bit.
He hatched September 30th and I hadn't yet observed him trying to eat. It's possible he had before today while still in the incubator or while with his siblings but I feed them in a soak bucket and he refused to eat anything with the group or alone during observation.
So I separated him from the group and offered romaine and grape leaves in a warm peaceful place and he still wouldn't eat. I offered the same food in my palm and suddenly he seemed interested and tried to eat a little. He struggled. He tried and tried to rip and tear at the food and was only able to get a tiny piece free to eat. So I shredded his food and he was alike to successfully eat a significant amount of food. I have since completely separated him from the group and offered more shredded bits of greens and he is eating again.
Here are pictures and a video. Hopefully someone will have an idea of what might be going on with him and if what I'm doing is going to be enough for him to thrive. Thanks in advance.

I noticed right away that something was amiss with his bite. I had hoped it was simply an underbite but the inside of the lower jaw appears to have an issue as well.

In the last couple of pictures you can see what looks like little injuries to the soft tissue in the lower jaw, I assume from the upper jaw cutting into it?
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1444170964.651819.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1444171071.388643.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1444171114.042904.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1444171152.830638.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1444171178.452915.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1444171213.472579.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1444171238.009492.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1444171427.141375.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1444171452.412180.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1444171480.363060.jpg

Video:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
What a cutie. That first pic looks like something really wrong. The others don't look as bad. Is his jaw hard? It looks like it's very soft. He doesn't have the single pointy beak, I wonder if the double points is causing him to miss the food? Will be interesting to see how he matures. I wouldn't think there would be a problem with him getting enough to eat and nutrition, as long as you chop things up fine and feed it in a pile. When Tatum was little, he seemed to miss more food then he got, so that's how I fed him until he got a little bigger and got it figured out. Good luck

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
What a cutie. That first pic looks like something really wrong. The others don't look as bad. Is his jaw hard? It looks like it's very soft. He doesn't have the single pointy beak, I wonder if the double points is causing him to miss the food? Will be interesting to see how he matures. I wouldn't think there would be a problem with him getting enough to eat and nutrition, as long as you chop things up fine and feed it in a pile. When Tatum was little, he seemed to miss more food then he got, so that's how I fed him until he got a little bigger and got it figured out. Good luck

So far he is doing really well. He still struggles to tear good as easily as his clutchmates but he's still eating fine and growing well.

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1445655620.543170.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1445655631.794714.jpg