Hatchling ate a ladybug

Mollie McFarland

My little guy gobbled up a ladybug before I could stop him. I know they are poisonous for lizards and birds. Has this happened to anyone else? I don't know if I should try to help him pass it quickly or just keep an eye out. He seems unfazed.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If it were me, I wouldn't worry. Can't imagine the bugs they eat in the wild and the ones we don't see. Just keep a little closer eye to be sure it doesn't affect him.

Mollie McFarland

Alright, thanks. He put himself to bed for the night. He ate it this morning and spent the day traipsing around and grazing without seeming the least bit concerned. These fellas are tanks, but he's so little. I worry about him since he's still such a baby.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
if it is poisonous to tortoises there's not a whole lot you can do I would just keep an eye on him for next couple of days and watch for behavioral changes and/or foaming at the mouth

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
Sounds like he is doing all right ? Just a little extra protein in his diet . As they say "this too shall pass" ! :)

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Sounds like he is doing all right ? Just a little extra protein in his diet . As they say "this too shall pass" ! :)
I see what you did there