Hatchling Failure Syndrome?

Pearly

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central Texas, Austin area
I have a Reptifogger and love that thing! Run it for about 10-15 minutes at breakfast time every day. Plus live plants, moss, water dish underneath the lamp... and closed system. It's always humid in there
One more thing, my substrate probably has a lot to do with it as well, I keep nice thick layer of bioactive substrata. That and covered top that keeps the heat/humidity in

adptorts

5 Year Member
California
Just finished reading through your feed. There is some really great advice in there. I was wondering how it's going with your little tortoise? Were you able to get it eating better and acting stronger?

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
We can feed children McDonald's a few times a week with some vitamins/minerals and have "healthy" children too. These ingredients are crap for a weed eating tortoise:
Ground Soybean Hulls, Ground Corn, Dehulled Soybean Meal, Ground Oats, Wheat Middlings,
Cane Molasses, Soybean Oil, Wheat Germ, Dehydrated Alfalfa Meal (remaining ingredients are all added vitamins and minerals)
The bulk of the ingredients is made up of ground soybean hulls. One of the best sources of high fiber, yet good calcium to phosphorus ratio you can find...
36% crude fiber, 76% digestible, 0.45% calcium, 0.16% phosphorus. Only 10% protein, and 2% fat. Used in the cattle business as one of the best alternatives to hay! If you look at timothy hay... 32% fiber, 0.32% calcium, 0.21% phosphorus. 8% protein and 1.5% fat. Not as good a Calcium to phosphorus ratio as the soybean hulls.

I don't see why we wouldn't want to feed our tortoises Mazuri!

adptorts

5 Year Member
California
Oh no. I'm so sorry. At least you were able to get lots of help here and you gave her a chance. Best of luck with all your future tortoises.