Hatchling hibernation??

Status
Not open for further replies.

ch12ag

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, UK
hi guys I have just received a hatchling testudo graeca ibera (2"). Is it true hatchlings shouldnt hibernate for the first 3 years. and also what to I do to get them to hibernate when I do need to. and how do I create the condition for them to successfully hibernate?? thanks

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Welcome to the forum! Glad to have you hear. We love pictures so when you get a chance feel free to share you little hatchling's photo. Tiny! Does s/he have a name yet?

Where did you read/hear that? I would worry more about their health before hibernation, not age. Are they a healthy weight, in good health, have you had them long enough to observe them, etc? In the wild they may even hibernate right after hatchling if they are late in the season. In captivity, most tend to err on the side of caution with hibernation. It is usually not recommended a new owner do this, as many things can go wrong. Most I know will "over winter" their tortoises unless they are living outside and hibernating themselves.

In captivity you would be stopping food for them to clear out the system, and maintaining a controlled cold temperature and controlling humidity. I will let someone else answer the specifics.

Here's an interesting article about an author's opinion that they should not be hibernated at all: http://www.chelonia.org/articles/tiberagoldengreekcare.htm

ch12ag

5 Year Member
Kent, UK
Hi and thanks for the warm welcome :) I will put pics up soon as I have him all settled. I have this great one of him trying to bite at a multicoloured ball with his little tongue sticking out :)

I dont feel ready or feel snoopy is ready for hibernation yeat plus I have only had him 2 days. If i decided not to hibernate snoopy would he die earlier or have a short lifespan. i guess what im asking is what are the ill-effects of not hibernating snoopy (he is an ibera).

by the way I have a red IR heat bulb and separate UV bulb will too much UVA cause him problems or will he be ok?? its all connected to a habistat pulse so will turn off or pulse to maintain at the set temp of 32C. I just dont want it to harm him.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Hi Chirag, Welcome to the forum.
Your hatchling needs a controlled inside environment. It should be lighted with a good UVB bulb and there should be a basking light on one side of the enclosure. The temperature at night should be above 60 degrees and days should be above 80 degrees. The tortoises require a basking light to elevate their body temperature to 85 to 90 degrees which aid in digestion.
You do not have to hibernate your hatchling. But you must meet the above requirements to maintain them inside during winter. They should feel no ill effects from not hibernating. There are different thoughts on this subject but a lot of breeders and keepers prefer not to hibernate the first few years.

I would continue your research but know there are a lot of conflicting information out there. You just have to read through it and if you have questions don't hesitate to ask.

ch12ag

5 Year Member
Kent, UK
Thats great thanks for your help yea i make sure my day temp is 88F and night temp is 77. The basking light is in one corner of the set up and is hooked up to a habistat which helps maintain it and i have a 10.0 UVB nicely dispersed over all areas. I have everything set up as you described and thanks for your advice over the whole hibernation matter. thankfully he seems very active and is eating well, I bathe him every day to wer he likes to do his business lol :) he is soo kool my little SNOoPY :D

ch12ag

5 Year Member
Kent, UK
LOL thanks i jus finished giving him his bath and now he has knocked out like the little baby he is, dug him self a hole in his basking area and is now fast asleep :D

Status
Not open for further replies.