Status
Not open for further replies.

soundwave

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Calgary, Alberta CANADA
Hi,

I have question on what UVB light that I should use for new hatchling?

I normally use MVB for my large hermanns but I'm concerned about use a MVB this early in his life. The MVB won't work in a small enclosure.

He is currently in small 15"x 8" plastic on container. I'm use spot lamp for heat and repti flo 5.0 UVB light.

I purchase a repti glo 2.0 uvb and plan replace the 5.0.

IS there pro and cons for which UVB light. I read information that Zoo Med 5.0 and 10.0 are bad on other sites. I read Exo terra 10.0 is bad on posting here.

Please share you experiences with UVB bulbs.

Thanks

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Ton I use a T-Rex MVB 100 watt for my hatchlings as well as my adults. But if you don't or can't do a setup for your hatchling the 5.0 UVB bulb you have should be fine. Now I do not have Hernanns but I have Greeks, so they are close. I don't think I would go lower than a 5.0 for it. Just make sure you have a hide so your hatchling can get out of the light. They will bury themselves or hide when they need to nap or just get out of the light. JMHO

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
If it is too much light or heat, you can also have it at one side, so part of the radius of the light/heat is out of the enclosure. That way you can still keep a cool side. With that small of a container, I guess you'll be upgrading the size within the year after which the MVB needs to be replaced, so it will still be a good deal for you. I wouldn't buy the fixtures for a tube UVB short term set up due to cost, and also that the MVBs are so so much better for the tort in terms of output.

I would get the MVB, stand (to adjust the height easily), and fixture (deep and large diameter, ceramic socket) and test it out. You say you're familiar with the MVBs so that's great--it'll make it easier for you. See if you can still get an appropriate temperature gradient. Have the basking spot at one side of the enclosure (bulb at the edge of the container), and then by the other side of the enclosure hopefully it will be cooled down.

If the gradient doesn't work, then use the bulb once you have a larger container. Sitting in the box and not plugged in is fine for their life as far as I know. You could even test out one of your other tort's bulb & setup on the empty hatchling container at night when the other torts are sleeping. I recommend never having the tort in the enclosure when you are adjusting the bulb in case it gets too hot, or the bulb is moved and shines in their eyes if it becomes non-parallel to the substrate.

Another option is to get a slightly larger container now. That is really small, even for a new hatchling. As long as you can increase the size of the container over time, starting off with a good sized container in my opinion isn't bad, as long as they have places to feel safe in, etc. If you had a very large container and no familiar hides to them, then the tort could get stressed.

I would worry more about the potential of too warm of a gradient then too much light (gradient is easier to fix). I heard from Danny that most owners have too little light in enclosures for their Testudos than too much.

soundwave

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Calgary, Alberta CANADA
Thank you for both Robyn and Kate for the information.

I think will get a slight larger container for him but I'll go with UVB because already have all the equipment. I will probably switch to MVB in a year.

The little is very active but he always flips himself over all the time. My girlfriend always comes home to him upside down each day.

Status
Not open for further replies.