Having an outdoor enclosure but worrying about scorpions

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

byerssusan

Okay so here is the prob I am having at this point besides, switching Phoenix from repcal to a more natural diet, AND immediatley removing a Repti glo 10.0 uvb light that I thought was good for her but come to find out it can make her go blind. UGH... I am thinking about making a out door enclosure for Phoenix so she can have at least a couple of hours of natural sun a day. Well I live in Arizona..which brings me to another problem. I just killed a bark scorpion a couple of days ago near our house. How am I suppose to keep Phoenix safe from scorpions? You know.... eventually she will be outside on the ground all the time. What do you do? I know there a lot of people here on the forum are from Arizona so any advice about this?

Timmytort

5 Year Member
The chances of them getting hurt are minimal. The reason I say this is scorpions are primarily nocturnal so if Phoenix is only outside during the day that should limit the ability for an encounter. I live in the west valley just outside of Phoenix and Timmy stays out 24/7. So far so good, plus at night when the scorpions are active Timmy sleeps like a rock so maybe he would be less likely to have a problem. I still haven't seen a scorpion near the house but I know they are around.

B

byerssusan

Okay heres another question lol..I'm full of them. If it's an enclosure for her just for a couple of hours a day so she can get some natural sun. Should I make the enclosure directly on the ground, which you know here it is nothing but hard sand.., or up off the ground? However I make it I will make sure to put a screen over it because I have a cat that would probably love to play with Phoenix. Not to mention I don't know if a hawk would try and get her either and there is a huge one around here.

ewam

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Ca.
I don't think it would matter it is just what you feel is safest for phoenix and easiest for you to build. Personally I would go above ground because it would be easier for me.

Timmytort

5 Year Member
Above ground is easier, especially here in Arizona. You have to cover it cuz birds will take him if they can.

M

Maggie Cummings

They normally share a burrow with scorpions so I don't think there would be a problem there...

jackrat

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Hamburg,AR
I agree with Maggie. They cross paths often in the wild.

B

byerssusan

Okay I posted earlier but I guess I should have posted it to this thread I tried going back deleting it and posting it here but it would not let me delete. So thought I would repost it here, The way I have it is on my porch so that when I have her out there I can keep an eye on her. So scorpions I am not gonna worry about..well not as much haha..

Curiosty Killed the cat
Not really! ha ha ...Had to make a fast outside enclosure just so Phoenix could get some natural sun for a couple of hours a day seeing how I removed the repti glo bulb that I did not know would hurt her eyes. Which apparently is true..because after removing that light she was active ALL day yesterday. I mean she was going all over.Apparently the light was already hurting her eyes.. Any ole way..I cannot afford the bulb right at the moment for her to get the sun rays she needs, so I set up a fast enclosure on our porch so she can get the morning sun. This is where curiosity killed the cat haha..No i did not harm Tweedle Dee..But boy I hurried fast to get screens to cover the sides so He could not bother Phoenix. The cat was going nuts seeing Phoenix moving slowly like mmm.. Something I can play with !! haha.. And dog gone it..What is Phoenix doing? Staying in her hide instead of resting in the sun. Damned if you do and damned if you don't haha..

Attachments

• Curiosity Killed The Cat.JPG
    Curiosity Killed The Cat.JPG
    311.5 KB · Views: 10
Status
Not open for further replies.