Having Turtles at My Restaurant (as pets/decor) Legal?

Penn

5 Year Member
So I was thinking of putting a 40 gallon tank with two DBT's at my restaurant but I'm concern about breaking any health codes. I know a fish tank is not a violation but not sure about turtles. I tried researching the web but nothing I can go by. My restaurant is in Santa Fe Springs California. Help if anyone know any info, thank you :)

sibi

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Florida, USA
I don't know health laws in Calif., but in Florida, turtles have been allowed in ponds inside and outside of restaurants. So long as potential visitors are not able to reach in and touch the turtles, which would be a health issue, I don't see why turtles would be any different than fish. Have you search the health codes online? I would also check with the fish and wildlife commission's website.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
I will come visit once you put that enclosure in. That will be very cool. Violation? ? That I don't know. Sorry!!!!!!

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
I went to a restaurant in Huntington Beach a couple years back and they had a pond with some pretty big red eared sliders in the waiting area of the restaurant. When I saw it I was wondering the same thing, if it was legal or not. You just dont see that very much

Penn

5 Year Member
Thanks everyone for replying. I think I'm just gonna go ahead and proceed with it and if they tell me anything I'll just take it out. I set up a new tank and stand earlier tonight. ImageUploadedByTortForum1389165199.212540.jpg my restaurant is Rachada Thai (Thai Food) 13416 Imperial HWY, Santa Fe Springs California 90670. My name is Chris, ask for me I would love to meet you and give you discount on your food :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Cute_Obi

5 Year Member
St. Paul, MN
Yum, I love Thai food :)
If I'm ever in California, I definitely make a stop!