Hay and Redfoots

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lunartwist

5 Year Member
So maybe once a week or so, I've been adding chopped Bermuda grass hay to Viola's diet. I figured the nice fiber source would be good for her.

But on a rather slow day at work, I decided to roam the internet and read a dozen or so different caresheets on Redfoots, and I noticed a specific one. It said that it wasn't a good idea to offer any grasses or hays to Redfoots, and they can't digest it as well a say, a Leopard tortoise, and you should focus on broadleaf plants instead (like dandelion).

So what's your guys' opinions? Can hay really cause digestive issues?

theelectraco

5 Year Member
I don't think feeding it once a week like mentioned will cause any digestive issues in the long run. I have never heard of Redford having issues with digesting hay, but I am guessing that is because most Redfoots are not fans of eating hay to begin with.

lkwagner

5 Year Member
I put hay mixed with cactus and a tiny amount of squash baby food in a food processor, the only way I can get my sulcatas to eat hay so far. Maybe try doing something like that so its chopped up tiny and softer so its easier to digest??

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Nebraska
Red-footeds don't like hays and grasses, but are perfectly OK with chunks of dry hay sprinkled on their food- https://sites.google.com/site/tortoiselibrary/nutrition/nutrients, down near the bottom.

When you offer a fiber supplement to humans or tortoises, research shows that the longer the fibers, the better. Really fine powders, liquids, and so on are not as effective as chunky stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.