Feeding hay

mrpresitort

Location (City and/or State)
NJ
I'd like to add that the exotic animals vet I went to when I first got my russian tort told me that 80% of his diet should be some kind of hay/grass. I have tried feeding him timothy hay, alfalfa hay, and little tortoise food pellets made of various hays, all to no avail. He won't touch the stuff. I've been following suggestions from the internet instead like what RosemaryDW posted and had much more success. I'm not so sure how much I trust the vets with anything at this point :/

mrpresitort

NJ
My vet told me to feed my tortoise 80% hay, but he has never so much as nibbled at timothy nor alfalfa hay, and same goes for hay pellets I bought. Mine mostly just likes salads and weeds.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I'd like to add that the exotic animals vet I went to when I first got my russian tort told me that 80% of his diet should be some kind of hay/grass. I have tried feeding him timothy hay, alfalfa hay, and little tortoise food pellets made of various hays, all to no avail. He won't touch the stuff. I've been following suggestions from the internet instead like what RosemaryDW posted and had much more success. I'm not so sure how much I trust the vets with anything at this point :/
Sadly because your vet is not educated well on tortoises.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Russian tortoises don't eat grass. And most hay is grass. Broaf leaf weeds and plants are more to their liking.