Status
Not open for further replies.

awebb

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Phoenix, az
Okay,
So by reading everything online and doing some research i have found out i am feeding my tort very wrong. He is a hatchling, all i've been feeding him is organic spring mix, With calcium supplement. No dry hay or anything. Now i read some stuff about feeding him grass hay and alfalfa hay. with is better for my sulcata. Also i'm going to go get some d3 supplements is there anything else i should be worried about feeding hi mthat im not?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
What kind of tortoise is it? Babies usually won't eat hay, and it should be any kind of oat or grass hay, NOT alfalfa. There's a product called "Salad-Style Hay" that you can buy either from oxbow.com or carolinapetsupply.com. Its the same stuff, but Joe's version (carolina pet supply) seems fresher. Its already cut up to size and smells sweet and fresh. You wet your greens (and spring mix is fine) then sprinkle a pinch of hay over the greens. Don't start with too much hay or they won't eat. Just a little pinch, and once he gets a taste for it, you can increase the amount slowly.

Yvonne

M

Maggie Cummings

Spring mix is fine. I add other greens to it to make a little better...endive collard, dandelion, red and green leaf lettuces...then I sprinkle cut up grass hay over it. It's hard for hatchlings to eat uncut hay so take Yvonnes advice and buy it already cut up from Carolina Pet supply. But don't stress yourself out too much when your small tortoise doesn't want to eat hay. You have to feed it in small quantities over a period of time...that's why I add more healthy greens to the Spring Mix...

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
I did not know hay was that important in an Herbivore diet. Can I buy some hay at a pet store and cut it my self? or it is not the same one as Carolina pet supply. The pet store near my place sells oat hay and timothy hay, which one is the better?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Either is ok, but the Timothy is more commonly used by tortoise keepers. Or orchard grass hay. If you know of a feed dealer in your town, that would be the BEST place to buy your hay, as its much fresher and softer. The pre-packaged stuff you find in pet stores has been sitting on the shelf for a very long time and the contents are dry and hard and stiff. Just ask the feed dealer if you can gather up a bag of "leavings" from his hay pile. They usually let you have a grocery bag full for free.

Yvonne

awebb

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Phoenix, az
He is a sulcata tortoise, about 173 days old. So if i do a balanced diet of the spring mix, the supplements, and some grass hay he should be getting a good amount of nutrients. Maybe mix the greens up a bit with different plants that are good for them?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Swollen eyes usually when they aren't eating right or stop eating...soft shell from no vit d3/calcium absorption...lethargy, etc. There are too many to list here. Just offer him a good diet with the occasional vit. supplement, the correct temperature and a hiding place and you should be fine.

Yvonne

krissy2288

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
california
if he isnt even a year old yet i don't think he will want to eat hay, my tort didn't start eating hay untill she was 2, but if he will eat it you are lucky

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
emysemys said:
Either is ok, but the Timothy is more commonly used by tortoise keepers. Or orchard grass hay. If you know of a feed dealer in your town, that would be the BEST place to buy your hay, as its much fresher and softer. The pre-packaged stuff you find in pet stores has been sitting on the shelf for a very long time and the contents are dry and hard and stiff. Just ask the feed dealer if you can gather up a bag of "leavings" from his hay pile. They usually let you have a grocery bag full for free.

Yvonne

Thanks Yvonne,
I will try to find a feed dealer :)

jpeck425

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Michigan
Isa said:
emysemys said:

Yvonne

Thanks Yvonne,
I will try to find a feed dealer :)
I've had good results and acceptance from a hay sold at a local feed store called "marsh grass". It is a mix of different clover hays and some fine grasses. The bale costs me $5.00 and lasts me for several months. Even my hatchling marginateds and the new Star Tortoises(4.5") are eating it well.

Hope this helps

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Hello Jeff & Yvonne
When you talk about feed store, are you talking about the grocery store?

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Feed store means either a pet supply or livestock supply store. Sometimes local graineries carry hay. I can get a 50lb bale for $6.50 from my local feed store, or $4.25 from a local farmer.

Just make sure to ask and make sure that the hay does NOT contain alfalfa, as it is very high in protein and is bad for your tort.

Kristina

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
kyryah said:
Feed store means either a pet supply or livestock supply store. Sometimes local graineries carry hay. I can get a 50lb bale for $6.50 from my local feed store, or $4.25 from a local farmer.

Just make sure to ask and make sure that the hay does NOT contain alfalfa, as it is very high in protein and is bad for your tort.

Kristina

Thanks Kristina :)

awebb

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Phoenix, az
Well the feed store near me sells alfalfa and grass. The grass is bermuda and it's pretty fresh. Is that grass hay okay for the tort to have?

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Can a feed store for cat and dog can order it or I can only buy it at a feed store for farm animals?

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
kyryah said:
It depends on the store.. You have to ask them.

Kristina

Thanks Kristina :)
I asked that because I am not sure if the feed store for cats & Dogs has fresh hay or the same one as the pets stores have in stock. The store I know is closed today, I will call them tomorrow to see what they have.

jpeck425

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Michigan
awebb said:
Well the feed store near me sells alfalfa and grass. The grass is bermuda and it's pretty fresh. Is that grass hay okay for the tort to have?

Yes, the grass bale is what you would want. Alfalfa would not be the right nutrition. The bale I purchase is called "Marsh Grass" and has worked very well for me. All of my grassland species eat it well and their growth and feces same good. I've been using it for 3 years now.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Pet stores carry small pre packaged bags of timaothy hay orchard hay and alfalfa for rabbits. If you have room to store it, the best price is a bale of hay, but it can go bad if you dont use much. Most feed stores that sell horse supplies will let you buy a part bale if they have a broken bale, or a 'flake' of hay. A flake is a section of a bale about 3-4 inches wide. you can store it in a large trash bag. keep it dry.

oh and Walmart is where i have found the best price for the bagged hay. :)

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Laura said:
Pet stores carry small pre packaged bags of timaothy hay orchard hay and alfalfa for rabbits. If you have room to store it, the best price is a bale of hay, but it can go bad if you dont use much. Most feed stores that sell horse supplies will let you buy a part bale if they have a broken bale, or a 'flake' of hay. A flake is a section of a bale about 3-4 inches wide. you can store it in a large trash bag. keep it dry.

oh and Walmart is where i have found the best price for the bagged hay. :)

Thanks for the info laura.

I called this morning to the feed store and they only have the hay in bags in stock. I will try to call to a farm feed store, that will not be easy to find though, because I live in the city.
If I dont find any, should I buy the one they sell at the pet store and wash it in the water before giving it to Hermy, or should I just wait for the next time I will go to the states to buy the one at Carolina Pet supply?

Status
Not open for further replies.