Haygrazers Seed? ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sissyofone

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
San Antonio, Texas
My friend uses this in his pasture. Does anyone know if its safe for Sullys? Im asking because he says it a mixture of different grasses. I Dont mean to sound stupid. Im just having a hard time getting grasses and weeds right now. I dont feel safe giving him food from around here yet.:(
Any info will help with this mix.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
More than likely it would be a fine mixture to plant for your tortoise...but does he know what types of grasses the mixture includes?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
If its made for grazing animals it should be fine for your sulcata. All of my grass seed mixes are pasture mixes for cattle or horses.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I just did a GOOGLE search for "haygrazer seed" and it seems that the term "haygrazer" is a type of sudan grass. Sudan is a clump grass that grows very tall, almost like a pampas grass. The bad thing about sudan is that if it gets moldy, or if it freezes, it turns toxic.

sissyofone

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, Texas
Its SORGHUM SUDAN GRASS HYBRID Variety Super Sugar.

Does this help any? Seems like super sugar is not good. :(

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I googled it too, after Yvonne's post.

Way more info than I needed, wanted, or am capable of grasping.

I just plant grass seed, water it, and feed the resulting grass to my tortoises, or let them graze on it. So far so good. At least until the damn gophers sneak in and wreck my hard work.

I get my seeds here: http://www.groworganic.com/seeds/pasture-seed/irrigated-pasture-mixes.html

sissyofone

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, Texas
Thanks Tom, I think im going to try to grow it in treys. Seems like its only toxic when its frozen or moldy. I dunno i second guess everything where her food is concerned. :-/ I just wanted to give her more of a variety. I will check on ordering some.

As far as your gophers are concerned " Choot 'em ". LOL :D Just kidding around. Good luck with keeping them out.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Oh I would "choot em" all day long, if they'd stick their little heads up! I have these great traps that never fail, but I can't deploy the trap until I know they are there, and by then the damage is already done. I just HATE the little buggers! They just killed a very special cactus plant last week. Ate all the new roots and all the outer green skin that was under ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.