Heat Help :)

Scottyoh123

Location (City and/or State)
UK
Hey guys

I don't know whether this is a dump question but when I feel something is wrong I always ask haa

I have a Hermann little Donny and I aim for a heat of 32c under the basking lamp at the day time and 22-25c at night now I have just gone off my habistat to make the correct temperature but I recently installed a Komodo thermostat under the basking lamp to make sure I am getting it right and the difference between the 2 is crazy

I set the habistat to say 27-26c at the cold end where my sensor is and it then goes to about 30-32c at the basking lamp which donny has loved and been normal eating wondering about and all that but then I look at the Komodo thermostat and it is like on crazy like 50c I have recently turned it down so that the Komodo sits at about 32c at the day and then goes to as low as possible at night but now the little guy sleeps all day and doesn't eat that much unless I get him out and give him a bath

I just don't know what to do should I go off the habistat which I think he likes or go of the Komodo and deal with his personality change :(

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
Are the probes for the two in the same place? If so, one is clearly broken. Put your hand where the probe is - does it feel like 50 or 30? They feel pretty different.

Get an IR temp gun to confirm - they are handy to have and will help in situations like these.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I agree with above. If some how they are both working and you can't get it adjusted, I would go by the one that makes your tort more active and happy

Scottyoh123

UK
Are the probes for the two in the same place? If so, one is clearly broken. Put your hand where the probe is - does it feel like 50 or 30? They feel pretty different.

Get an IR temp gun to confirm - they are handy to have and will help in situations like these.

Thank you for your advice alittle update for you guys i have gone off the habistat today instead of the komodo meter and he was up and about this morning eating which is a first for about 4 days now so i think something is wrong with the komodo i have ordered a komodo humidity meter to do you think this will be reliable or not?

i will however order one of them IR temp meters is there a equivalent for humidity?

Thank you for your comment :)