Heating for Russian tortoise

Noah101

Location (City and/or State)
Cedar grove nj
what wattage heat lamp do I need to heat my entire 8x4 Russian Tortoise enclosure to the correct temperature I know it’s more about how close you place it but what wattage do I need to get the correct temperatures for the tortoise enclosure if the heat lamp is a 12 inches above the Russian tortoises shell??

Littleredfootbigredheart

Location (City and/or State)
UK
Hello and welcome!
Wow I love the size you’ve gone for! You have no idea how rare it is for new members to have the correct sized set up!❤️

Just to check as your new here, what kind of basking bulb is it? And what kind of indoor uv do you have?

As you say, with the basking bulb, it’s about how high you hang it to reach the desired basking temp directly underneath, which should be 95-100f. You may need to try a few different watts, most use 75w

Then to heat the rest of your enclosure, you’re actually going to want to install a che or two(ceramic heat emitter) ran on a on/off thermostat, you’ll set it for what the lower end of your temp should be, plug them in and out the probe in the cooler end, then they’ll work on making up your ambient heat, hope this helps! Any other questions please ask!

What are you using for substrate btw? I’d love to see a pic of your set up if you’re willing!😁