Heating temps

Status
Not open for further replies.

rltwaddle

5 Year Member
Was just curious as to what temps (substrate) should be? I've got a digital thermo and have tested areas all over. Under the basking light it stays about 95-100 and the cooler side is a lil over 70. And I've checked other areas around and they don't get much higher than 75. It's an open top tortoise box, so I'm guessing heat isn't staying in well. what should regular temps range in? Cool hide? Warm hide? If I add another heat light it goes around 85-90? That will give me four lights during day hours. Two diff UVB lights to optimized "sun UVB" and two heat lights ( one basking, one for warmth)

rltwaddle

5 Year Member
He is a Russian, about 5-6 in, 550 grams, and the enclosure is 2.5x3.5 ft

5-10 yrs old I think?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I think your temps sound good for a russian. I'm trying to figure out what bulbs you have over him though.
What types of bulbs are all of those? I see two types of UV bulb. Is one or both those coil type compact florescents? Is the optimized sun one a mercury vapor bulb? Is the other heat bulb colored?

rltwaddle

5 Year Member
I have a 150W heat/basking light, a 10.0 UVB tube light on the side, didn't think he was getting enough since it was hanging on the side. So I got a dual 50 (9.0) UVB placed over the middle, desert lighting. And I had a 75W red heat light for night since my house is cold sometimes. Wa going to switch for a 100W heat light to get the inner temp to 85. What exactly is a coil light look like? There's no MVB, the dual
Lights are like a large U shaped like and there is two of them in the middle

The one in the middle is the dual desert UVB, on the far right is a 10.0 tube UVB, the bottom left is the 150W basking, and the bottom is the 75 W red night.

Attachments

• image-3482591255.png
    image-3482591255.png
    255.6 KB · Views: 28
  • image-3582771820.png
    image-3582771820.png
    32.7 KB · Views: 21

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Here is what the coil types look like:
2ia2znm.jpg

I'm not familiar with your dual set up , so I have no idea if its safe or not. Every thing else looks okay. I would change out that water dish to a terra cotta plant saucer. The sides look steep, slick and deep in the pic. Does he use it?

rltwaddle

5 Year Member
No I'm not using coil bulbs like that. I got the second UVB light because I wasn't sure if he was getting enough from it since it was hanging on just the one side.

I haven't seen him use it, so I took it out. Was trying to use something a little more "around the house" type to save some money. Wasnt sure if I was gonna put another one in or not. Thought about just going with the every other day soaks since they are desert torts and don't have access to water as regularly. Should I have one in there anyways?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The terra cotta saucers are around 2 or 3 bucks at any hardware store. I get mine at Lowes. There should always be water available. He's not using that bowl, because his sense of self preservation told him to steer clear of it. Too deep and too difficult to get in and out of. Get a saucer and bury it so its flush with the substrate. I'd still soak him 2 or 3 times a week, just to be sure he stays hydrated. That desert stuff is non-sense in my opinion, for all "desert" species. They all use micro climates and behavioral techniques that help them stay hydrated and survive tough times. We don't need to intentionally subject them to tough times just because they are usually abel to survive them. Hydration is good for ALL tortoises.

For UV nothing beats real sunshine. Even a couple hours a week will work wonders. Make him a secure pen outside with shade, shelter and sunny spots, and let him bask in the warm sun.

Status
Not open for further replies.