HELLO AND HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacksan

5 Year Member
Hi there everyone,
I really feel I will need a lot of help and advice pretty soon. I live in Spain and last night was approached by a man who is going back to the UK, he has 6 tortoises, I dont know what kind, about 3 years old (he had the parents brought them from the UK) but they were stolen. He wants me to have them, he says he has all the paper work needed.
I have agreed as I am a Huge animal lover, with 7 rescued cats, 2 rescued dogs and a rescued parrot, and foster for PAWS and ANIMAL AID, that is why this man wants to give them to me as he wants them cared for properly.

The thing is though I have agreed to have them, I no nothing about the care of them, he says its easy and will let me know what to do, and the vet locally is a Tortoise epert (thankgod).I just feel it would be nice to have back up and support on hand, I did this when I rescued my parrot, joined a Forum as I was a novice,so any tips advice help, warning etc would be appreciated. PS he keeps them in a tank with a light and does not hibernate them. All the best Jackiexx

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Jackie: Welcome to the forum. We'll be glad to offer any help that we can, once we know what kind of tortoises they are. I'm betting they are in the Greek family. When you get them, please take and post pictures! You are about to join the wonderful world of tortoises. They are great animals and you are going to get so much out of having them.

Yvonne

PS: I LOVE Daisy Dot! You must have a very clean monitor!

galvinkaos

5 Year Member
Temple City, Ca
Welcome, Another suggestion is look at the threads about enclosures and the specific tort (once they are id'd) And ask, there are alot of very experienced tort parents here with kids from all over the spectrum.

Dawna

jacksan

5 Year Member
Thankyou as soon as I get them I will be back on for help an support, with photos, all the best Jackie xxxx
PS I love my Daisy Dot as well xxxxx

jacksan

5 Year Member
Have,nt heard any more yet, been looking into all sorts in case it happens all of a sudden. We have there home all planned out , and will grow our own weeds (all I can do anyway haha) Do they need special Tortoise food as I see it advertised but he dosent use it.?????

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It really is going to depend upon why type of tortoise it is, but generally speaking, its best to feed fresh food and either not use the prepared foods at all, or use them only as a supplement to the fresh foods.

Yvonne

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Hi Jackie! :D Daisy Dot is cute! My first piece of advice is to relax, your going to do this right. Owning tortoises is a constant learning experience. Sounds like your learning the basics which is great. Once you know exactly what your being gifted with, you can get the finer points. It sounds like this keeper was very wise to be picking you! :)

jacksan

5 Year Member
I just like to treat things right, otherwise you can be being cruel without knowing, I would hate that, reading some of the stories about Tortoises on line has upset me , where ignorance has killed them or maimed them,its so sad people dont do there homework, Oh yes while I am on line, he does not hibernate his, is this normal?????

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Some torts do not hibernate and yes that would be normal for them. It's all in the species or sub species. I have Greeks. While Greek Iberas Hibernate Jordanian Greeks do not. Stumped me when I first got them. I was all ready to hibernate them the first year. Glad I found out before I put them in the refrigerator. ;) Jacqui is right you have done your homework. Once you know the type you are getting I am sure all will go well for you and it will have a loving wondreful home. Just remember Daisy Dot stays away from the tort-No tort licking at her rate she would wear down his carapace in no time LOL. Now relax you will do fine. And remember if you do have questions we are always here to help.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
jacksan said:
Oh yes while I am on line, he does not hibernate his, is this normal?????

This all depends upon whether or not the tortoises you are getting are the type of tortoises that hibernate or not. If they DO hibernate in the wild, it is quite ok to keep them up during the winter. They don't need to hibernate to stay alive as long as you provide the heat and light required to stay awake. If the previous owner has not allowed them to hibernate and they are breeding and laying eggs, then there is no reason for you to allow hibernation either. However, hibernation gives the keeper a little respite from "keeping!" And sometimes you get better breeding if the males have come out of a hibernation period.

Yvonne

Status
Not open for further replies.