Hello Everyone!!! :D

Dosu

Location (City and/or State)
Kuwait
Hello everyone,
I've been on the forums for quite a while but I never made a introduction for some reason, might as well make one now :D My name's Majd, I'm 15 years old and I live in Kuwait. I have the best greek tortoise in the world (well, in my opinion anyway). I took him away from a neighbours kid 1 month ago after I saw them abuse the tortoise even after I told the parents it was wrong (eg: throwing him in the pool, putting him in a shoe and kicking him around etc.) and since then it's been with me and they still don't know that I've got their tortoise xD

I started off knowing NOTHING about tortoises but because of everyone in this forum, I now know lots more and he's living in a nice medium sized temporary enclosure which is better than his old enclosure from his previous owner which was an outdoor balcony. Here's a picture of my tortoise :tort:
IMG-20151110-WA0001.jpg

I just want to say thank you everyone! If this forum didn't exist, I don't know what I would of done.:D

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. KUDDOS to you for stepping up and saving this one from being abused. S/he is very cute.

Dosu

Kuwait
Hello and Welcome. KUDDOS to you for stepping up and saving this one from being abused. S/he is very cute.
Thanks! I actually don't know if it's a he or she either xD Nor do I know his age but I guess that's gonna be my next thread :p

AnimalLady

Hello and Welcome!

I will never understand parents who act such a way. I have small children and its my job to teach them how to properly interact with animals! NO animal abusers in my house! Good job you for stepping up!

Lovely tort :)

Dosu

Kuwait
Hello and Welcome!

I will never understand parents who act such a way. I have small children and its my job to teach them how to properly interact with animals! NO animal abusers in my house! Good job you for stepping up!

Lovely tort :)

Thanks! Same here, I don't understand parent's that are like that, I mean, how hard can it be to teach children to not kick tortoises around? It's just common sense!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Welcome Majd - good rescue!!

Alaskamike

South Florida
Any abuse of an innocent - animal or human - hits a nerve with me. Has since I was a child.

Glad for this tortoise you can give him some peace and a good home

Prairie Mom

You're a rock star, Majd! I'm so glad you decided to introduce yourself and your tortoise. We're so glad you're here!

Helmut51

Welcome to the forum! That's so sad to hear how they were treating the tortoise. It sounds like it's in a much better home now.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Well, 'rescuing' is an exaggeration. I would say more like 'helping' or something along the lines of that :p
No - I think 'rescuing' is spot on - you have saved it from a short life of misery and abuse.
Now it will have an excellent chance of having a long happy healthy life.
You're not only a rock star but a superhero!

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, Majd, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum to you and your lovely Greek.
First I have to disillusion you, yours is not the best Greek tortoise in the world, my Tidgy is.
So there!;)
She was also a rescue from an abusive home where she was kicked around, twisted and tortured, used as a toy car and had one of her scutes cut out to make jewellery. her sister sadly died.
One of my first and best friends on the forum is also from Kuwait, but she doesn't come on her much now, unfortunately.
Hey, puffy!!! @puffinboots (just in case she pops in.)
I know you've been around here for a bit, but those would shavings look terribly dry to me.
I use coco coir which is great at holding in the moisture and Tidgy loves it to play and dig in, too.
If you have any questions at all, don't hesitate to ask.

Dosu

Kuwait
Hello, Majd, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum to you and your lovely Greek.
First I have to disillusion you, yours is not the best Greek tortoise in the world, my Tidgy is.
So there!;)
She was also a rescue from an abusive home where she was kicked around, twisted and tortured, used as a toy car and had one of her scutes cut out to make jewellery. her sister sadly died.
One of my first and best friends on the forum is also from Kuwait, but she doesn't come on her much now, unfortunately.
Hey, puffy!!! @puffinboots (just in case she pops in.)
I know you've been around here for a bit, but those would shavings look terribly dry to me.
I use coco coir which is great at holding in the moisture and Tidgy loves it to play and dig in, too.
If you have any questions at all, don't hesitate to ask.

YE WANNA FITE M8! My tortoise is obviously the best tortoise, but to be nice, I'll let your tortoise be second place :p And oww, looks like your tortoise has been through a lot :( Luckily, the previous owners weren't as severe with my tortoise. Also about the aspen shavings, I did remove all the aspen shavings as some recommended and switched it to reptibark. However, I then realized that my tortoise stopped digging and burrowing so I decided to put a small patch of aspen on one corner to he can dig when sleeping/taking a nap and that is exactly what he's doing right now. He basks/cools down on reptibark and burrows when sleeping and napping on aspen. He seems to like it (or that's what I think). I am trying to find coco coir but I can't find any. I've only seen eco-earth but those are really expensive and I heard that it tends to get stuck on tortoises and they might accidentally ingest it. Whats your opinion? Should I just have it all reptibark or should I try eco-earth or should I keep it the same?
Thanks

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
I'd still ditch the aspen due to it's dryness, I have no problems with coco coir, Tidgy doesn't eat it, though i've heard that a few torts will, i believe that if they have the right diet, torts are not inclined to gobble their substrate. It gets stuck a bit, occasionally, but is easily brushed or washed off, same as soil.
Have a look on Amazon, they probably have something quite cheap and their delivery service is quite cheap and quick (at least to Morocco.)
Oh, and sure, i'll fight! Tidgy is the outright bestest possible!
She told me so herself.

JacquesM

That is such a sweet story! Good on you for rehoming that lovely tortoise. It'll be much happier :) Welcome :)