Hello everyone =)

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Hello and welcome. What a lovely little tortoise!

Please read the care sheet. Pet stores everywhere are notorious for giving bad advice and selling inappropriate gear. They never see the results of long term care. That substrate you are using is not the right stuff. It needs to hold moisture.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
Hello and welcome Louise. Little Olga is lovely.
There is lots of information on diet, temps, humidity etc for Russians (horsefields) here and if you follow all advice as best you can you should have a happy healthy tort for possibly the rest of your life!

If you can post some pictures of your enclosure and lamps etc the people here can tell you if you are on the right track or need to change anything to keep Olga well - as John said pet shops want to sell you stuff whether it's right or not whereas everyone here only has the best interests of torts at heart.

So read, search and ask as many questions as you need. Looking forward to hearing more about Olga.

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
Welcome to the Forum. Olga is so cute. For my baby Russians I like to use moist coconut coir (ZooMed EcoEarth). When they get older I switch over to a mixture of cypress mulch and coir which is kept moist.

Cj001

New England
Welcome!
Your last name and my maiden name are the same and it's the first time I've ever seen someone else with it! I got excited and had to share that haha.
I love the name Olga for a little russian tortoise she is so sweet :)

Louise Pedersen

Copenhagen, Denmark
Hello and welcome. What a lovely little tortoise!

Please read the care sheet. Pet stores everywhere are notorious for giving bad advice and selling inappropriate gear. They never see the results of long term care. That substrate you are using is not the right stuff. It needs to hold moisture.[/

Hi Johnsonnboswell,
thank you =)
I have taken your and quite a few other peoples advice and changed the substrate.
I now have coconut coir (humus?) instead and moss for her humid hide.

A few things have been changed since I took this picture. She likes to hang out in the top left hand corner, not on the basking stone, but under the basil("tree") :)

I'm growing loads of different flowers and plants for her to eat (when they are big enough), I even got a bag of ground elder root so she can have fresh leaves during winter. Does she want it now? Nope, lol!

Anyway, I look forward to learn more (loads I'm sure) and thx for your advice.

Best regards,
Louise

Attachments

• Olga.jpg
    Olga.jpg
    190.9 KB · Views: 1

Louise Pedersen

Copenhagen, Denmark
Hello and welcome Louise. Little Olga is lovely.
There is lots of information on diet, temps, humidity etc for Russians (horsefields) here and if you follow all advice as best you can you should have a happy healthy tort for possibly the rest of your life!

If you can post some pictures of your enclosure and lamps etc the people here can tell you if you are on the right track or need to change anything to keep Olga well - as John said pet shops want to sell you stuff whether it's right or not whereas everyone here only has the best interests of torts at heart.

So read, search and ask as many questions as you need. Looking forward to hearing more about Olga.

Thanks Lyn =) I have many, many questions, some might even be a bit silly, but being a bit of a perfectionist I need to ask... =)

Louise Pedersen

Copenhagen, Denmark
Welcome to the Forum. Olga is so cute. For my baby Russians I like to use moist coconut coir (ZooMed EcoEarth). When they get older I switch over to a mixture of cypress mulch and coir which is kept moist.

Hi Carol,
I have made the switch since I made the post, you can see an overview in my reply to Johnsonn =)
And thx a lot for all the advice!

Louise Pedersen

Copenhagen, Denmark

Louise Pedersen

Copenhagen, Denmark
And thank you all for the awesome welcome =) I can't wait to get to know you and this forum better and check out all the info and links.
I'm sure there'll be an information overload at some point and questions will pop up.

All the best to all of you =)