Hello Everyone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dartainian

5 Year Member
I am currently looking at the proper way to care for a tortoise before I make a decision to get one. I really like what I have been reading so far on this site as it is very informative. I look forward to picking your brains and learning as much as possible before making a final decision of getting a tortoise and what kind.

Have a wonderful day everyone!!!!

Dartainian

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
*waves* Hi!!! I really like it , when I see somebody who actually researches before jumping in with both feet. Do you have a couple of species in mind yet? :tort:

Dartainian

5 Year Member
Unfortunately I do not have any idea what kind I want to get just yet. I would like something that I will be able to take care of for a long time but yet I do not want something that will get to be extremely huge. I do have a good size area to use for housing so I am thinking something that will get to maybe a foot in length at the most. I really do want to learn as much as I can before I make a decision because I do not want to get into a situation where I have to find a home for it because I am not able to care for it properly.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and WELCOME:D Kudos on the research first and picking the best place to do it. Wish I had found this forum before I bought my tort. I would have still bought him, but would have started him out 100% the correct way. BTW, wher are you located. That helps a lot in how we would recommend tort species best for your area or how to take care of one that might not be best suited for your area

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
Welcome to the forum. Love that you are doing your homework beforehand! I would highly recommend thinking about adult size and housing realities before selection of a species. Small hibernator with lots of personality are Russian torts. In my opinion the perfect beginner tort. If you are looking for something bigger that does not hibernate a Leopard is great.

chicagojohn

5 Year Member
Each tortoise, genus and species, is different. There is definitely not a best way.

Tortoises evolved to fit their environments. Unlike us humans, they are not very adaptable. You can either take my word for this or learn it the hard way. :)

Think of a tortoise as a key that fits a specific lock (the environment it evolved to fit). To the extent you are able to replicate that environment, it will thrive; if you do not, it will not do well and may die. This is a serious and significant decision to be made before you decide which one to buy, or whether after very careful consideration, you want to buy one at all. In retrospect, I probably would not have.

So if you really want to take care of a tortoise, and you can learn a lot from this if you are willing to make the total commitment and effort and expend the costs involved, then the first thing you should do, in my estimation, is to study the various options.

First, what is the ultimate size you can care for. sulcata's often sold in pet stores, can reach 300 lbs. I selected a form of Greek tortoise that will not reach over 2-3 lbs.

In the beginning, if you get a hatchling, they may be OK in a large, indoor vivarium. Ultimately they will need a large indoor area in the Winter and a protected, screened large enclosure outdoors in the summer when temperatures permit. I will post pictures of our areas. I'll try to add them to this post so you get a sense of what's involved. These areas must be maintained, cleaned, and supported indoors with light that delivers UVB.

This is not like having a dog or a cat for a pet. To be successful, it takes a lot of reading, research, and daily care to create the environment that will work.

This is an indoor enclosure I designed and built. It's in our front room and is 5.5 feet wide and 4 feet long. There is a UVB heat light on the left side (replacements ~$40 a year), a hide cave on the right along with his "girl friend" resin tortoise and spray bottles to keep him moist, especially in Winter.

Indoor Enclosure by ChicagoJohn, on Flickr

Outside I built a 4 X 8 foot enclosure with mesh on the bottom and top and a hide box. This is shot from our 2nd story deck where we have water to spray him and the area down. In spite of this, a few years ago he broke out and we though we'd lost him, but a systematic search found him at the top of the hill this area is on dug into a hold in a corner of the foundation. The next night would have gone down to 40°F.

outdoor enclosure by ChicagoJohn, on Flickr

A few years ago, despite my taking two courses on chelonians and reading everything I could (I'm a scientist by occupation), he developed bladder stones which were incorrectly diagnosed by our local vet. Between her charges and those of the vet we eventually had to take him two hours away, we spent over $1000 on vet bills.

Recently, now we have this issue of growth of his rear scute and I'll let you know what that vet bill comes to.

My point is to let anyone reading this know that the decision a chelonian as a "pet" is the wrong decision. You get them as a challenge; to your learning and intelligence, time, and funds. Ours has a little personality and comes running over to see us every time we walk by or when we call his name "Ball" when we're outside.

But think about it carefully and plan very carefully before you decide to care for a tortoise. We are now in our 60's, and Ball is 18; we'll ultimately have to find a home for him when we get too old to care for him.

So think about whether this sort of challenge and commitment is right for you.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Dartainian:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

May we know appx. where in the world you are?

Dartainian

5 Year Member
wellington said:
Hello and WELCOME:D Kudos on the research first and picking the best place to do it. Wish I had found this forum before I bought my tort. I would have still bought him, but would have started him out 100% the correct way. BTW, wher are you located. That helps a lot in how we would recommend tort species best for your area or how to take care of one that might not be best suited for your area

I live in Michigan in a house I own with a fenced in backyard and a full basement. There is just my wife and I and the dog so there should not be a problem of room. At least not in my thinking so far. I am keeping an open mind on things until I learn more.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Dartainian said:
I live in Michigan in a house I own with a fenced in backyard and a full basement. There is just my wife and I and the dog so there should not be a problem of room. At least not in my thinking so far. I am keeping an open mind on things until I learn more.

Sounds so far like you could have a lot of interesting options available. Just an early reminder, you will need to keep the dog away from the tortoise. There is just something about those shells that is irresistible to many dogs... even the sweet, old, "would never hurt a flea" kinds.

Status
Not open for further replies.