Hello from Central Florida

Chris Baez Jr.

Hello everyone,

My name is Chris, and I am 100% Tortoise illiterate :). I don't own a Tortoise, but have been really considering getting one (maybe two). So I'm here to learn and get familiar with them before getting one; also to find out which is the best beginner Tortoise, if there is such a thing.

I have been keeping tropical freshwater fish for a very long time. And I used to have a great Bearded Dragon.

Turtlepete

Location (City and/or State)
South Florida
Welcome to the forum Chris!

I think in Florida you'll find the best match for you, a beginner, will be a red foot tortoise. They come from South America, so our climate is nearly perfect for them. They get about a foot in length, so they stay a manageable size. There are a couple breeders on this forum in the Florida area. I breed them, but I'm in south Fl. @allegraf breeds beautiful cherry heads, which are basically a redder and prettier "breed" of red foots.

Good luck!

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Chris from Florida welcome to the TFO from AZ . What would you like in a tort ? We have a lot of reading here on many torts . And we have Picts of their enclosures .

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Normally I would not recommend a red foot tortoise it as your first one because of the high maintenance they require but being that you're in Florida a RF probably would be a fairly decent choice. Russians make a fantastic choice for a first tortoise but I'm partial to Redfoot and Cherryhead Redfoot. Yellowfoot are the same thing except yellow instead of red. Not very many people have the yellows.

0.0.1 Redfoot (Spike)
0.0.1 Cherryhead Redfoot (Bruce Wayne)
1.0 Sulcata (Hal Jordan)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Chris, and welcome to the Forum!

A redfooted tortoise is quite suitable to Florida's climate, but before you make up your mind, read everything that is written about them at the Tortoise Library

Another good first tortoise is a Russian. They stay small and are pretty easy to care for. We have a good Russian care sheet at the top of the Russian section here on the Forum.

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
Hello and welcome, Chris! Glad you found this forum. :)

May
THBs: Darwin & Merlin
Aussies: Dax, Vegas, & Cricket
IG: @AUSSOMEAUSSIES