Hello from Hong Kong!

Pure Tortoise Power

Location (City and/or State)
Hong Kong
I just got this cutie last week and it's doing so well! It mainly eats commercial tortoise food(I don't know whether it's good or not),romaine lettuce(because I've heard that they love it so much) , normal lettuce. And I'm introducing more veggies to it as time goes. However, I tried to introduce grass and weed to it a few times but it always seems uninterested. How can I get it to eat them without mixing other veggies? Also, I bathe it twice a day, making sure it gets well hydrated and poops well. I have a tank with the size of about 30cmx55cm. I use orchid wood pieces(or however it's called) as the substrate, with water dish and food dish, a cave for it to rest as well as for it to not get exposed too much to the uva light. I let the uvb light on for 12 hours a day, while also feed it a pinch of calcium powder every 4 days. In case the humidity isn't enough, I also have installed a water sprayer in order to maintain up to about 70% humidity. The tank has enough ventilation. The tank's temperature is at about 33°c day and about 25°c night.

That's all I've been doing to keep my baby sulcata healthy. Are there any improvements that I can make. Also I need some suggestions on what other food I should give it. That's all thanks.

TriciaStringer

5 Year Member
Louisiana
You can cut up the grass in teeny tiny pieces. Make sure the food he likes is wet. Then the grass will stick to it and get eaten. Start decreasing the romaine and increasing the more beneficial greens.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Welcome There are threads here that will address your needs. I am sure someone will send you the link. I don't know how. Drop the regular lettuce. Add grass and weeds to the other greens and increase slowly. My sulcata would only eat a few things when I got him.i just wanted to make sure he ate and was happy. Then the tough love was applied and I would leave food in there that I knew other sulcata's ate and left it there until Opo ate it. Give a variety and no fruits. I know you want to keep the little tort happy but dont let your sully dictate just a few foods. They are stubborn LOL Pics of your sully and enclosure would be great. We can guide you to a proper set up. Good luck and keep asking questions.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
If you can grow your own wheat grass in small pots. 3 or 4 pots. Then you can just hold the pot over the food and use scissors and snip off small pieces on top. Even I can grow wheatgrass. So its not hard to do.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Welcome!

Here is a list of foods that may be available to you. I know the geographical location isn't the same but am thinking some of them will be locally available at various markets. Much of what we post here about food is specific to the Northern U.S. or UK. Because Asian cultures eat many things we don't, you may find it easier to find "good" foods than some of us!

https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/s...land-malay-indo-etc-diet.165957/#post-1605308

Pure Tortoise Power

Hong Kong
Welcome!

Here is a list of foods that may be available to you. I know the geographical location isn't the same but am thinking some of them will be locally available at various markets. Much of what we post here about food is specific to the Northern U.S. or UK. Because Asian cultures eat many things we don't, you may find it easier to find "good" foods than some of us!

https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/s...land-malay-indo-etc-diet.165957/#post-1605308
Thank you. Your reply is of great help