Hello from Ponte Vedra Beach FL - new member, no tortoise

bgbunting

Location (City and/or State)
Ponte Vedra Beach FL
Hello Everyone - I signed up a few days ago and wanted to get active. I'm in the early stages of deciding when and what kind of tortoise we should add to the family.
Currently I'm leaning towards Greek, Red Foot or Leopard. We have a plenty of space in the backyard for it to live outside and plus its hot and humid in Florida. Safest bet seems to be a Greek.

The other decision is if we're going to get a baby or adopt. I would love to find a friend needing to be rehomed, but not sure how likely we'll come across one. I've started calling local pet stores to see if they have people looking to rehome.
Excited to be apart of this community - even if we don't have a tortoise yet :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. The Redfoot or the leopard would probably do really well and possibly better than a Greek. The Redfoot would be much easier to find in FL as a juvie or adult. There are a few up for adoption now and often.
Good luck and don't forget to read our carsheets and ask questions if you have any.

bgbunting

Ponte Vedra Beach FL
Hello and Welcome. The Redfoot or the leopard would probably do really well and possibly better than a Greek. The Redfoot would be much easier to find in FL as a juvie or adult. There are a few up for adoption now and often.
Good luck and don't forget to read our carsheets and ask questions if you have any.
Thanks so much - I was wondering if Greeks would be easier bc they can hibernate through the cold month up near Jacksonville. The Red foots seemed more fun since they love the moisture (which we have plenty of here)!
and for the Leopard - would one tear up the lawn real bad? i know they don't dig like a sulcata but i assume they could still ruin the grass. if i plan to let it have majority or all of backyard.

Ill be sure to read the care sheets!

bgbunting

Ponte Vedra Beach FL
There are a zillion redfoots needing homes in Florida, please consider getting a rescue
Thx thats great to hear. the reason i was considering Greek over redfoots was bc it seemed the greek could hibernate outside through colder months in N. FL but the redfoot would need to come inside. Plus their diet and moisture needs seemed more complex. They actually sounded more fun but i wanted to consider starting with the potentially more simple option. but again, ive only been studying the last couple weeks so its all new :)

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Welcome to the forum. Great to see you are doing your homework. Before you get a tortoise.
A rescue would be great.