Hello from San Diego

Status
Not open for further replies.

lsaldana

5 Year Member
Hi all- My family has owned two DTs since 1960s, both male. One is CA, one is TX (we have always assumed TX, anyway- he's much smaller than the CADT).

They live in a large backyard, graze on grass, with supplemental food (flowers, fruit, veggies, crushed egg shells, etc.) They are kept in separate areas to avoid territorial conflicts- when they've gotten out of their respective areas, they get physical quickly: head wobbling, attempts to tip over etc.

I've inherited them after my mother's death in December, and I'm preparing to hibernate them soon (night temp is in 50s) as she did for decades: in basic cardboard boxes in the garage, with newspaper "bedding," where it's dry and the temp is usually in the 50 degrees range. (If anyone has concerns or suggestions about changing this situation, pls advise.)

We live in San Diego, and for years left them out in the rain and cold all winter. But as we learned more about them we began improving their care.

My mom clearly did something right- they have been with us for 40+ years.

So... I'm now their "guardian" and want to be learning more from this forum about how to manage their care. I look forward to hearing from others on this forum.

Thanks in advance for your ideas and suggestions.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hello Isaldana:

Welcome to the forum!!

(I moved your post from Jon's thread so more people could respond to you. Because you're new, you probably didn't realize that you should start your own thread when you are changing the subject from the original poster's thread.)

So glad to have you with us. I love the Texas tortoises. And I'm glad that you were smart enough to realize that they need their own areas. When you become more familiar with the format here on the forum, I'd love to see pictures of your tortoises.

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Hello Welcome to the forum thats awesome your family had them for 40 + years some pic's would be great. :)

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Welcome to the forum :)

If your doing the same things as mom did and you live fairly close to where she did, I wouldn't change a thing when it comes to hibernating.

Danny

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
Welcome to the forum. I live in San Diego too. I have two 1 year old CDTs We haven't hibernated yet. Good luck with your inheritance:)

Madortoise

5 Year Member
Welcome. How sweet it is to have your mom's treasures roaming in your backyard. Congratulations for inheriting them.

Status
Not open for further replies.