Hello from southern California

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunshade

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern CA
Hi I'm in southern California. I recently found a turtle in our backyard, and I have no idea what kind of turtle he is - that's why I'm here. I hope to learn a lot from you all. Have a nice day!

LindaF

5 Year Member
Welcome. If you can post a picture of the turtle I am sure a member can help you identify him or her.

sunshade

5 Year Member
Southern CA
LindaF said:
Welcome. If you can post a picture of the turtle I am sure a member can help you identify him or her.

This is him. Is this a desert box turtle? Do I need a permit to keep him in my backyard? He seems he has been living in the garden for awhile, and I recently moved in. (The house had been empty for a long time.)

jeffbens0n

5 Year Member
Glenmoore, PA
Welcome! It appears that the two pictures you posted are of different turtles. Are there two different turtles inhabiting your yard?

sunshade

5 Year Member
Southern CA
jeffbens0n said:
Welcome! It appears that the two pictures you posted are of different turtles. Are there two different turtles inhabiting your yard?

Oh, both of them are the same turtle. I have just one turtle - but I know what you mean :) The close-up shot was taken when he was wet - I was watering the garden - he was hiding there and accidentally took a good shower... So his shell looks clearer than the other photo. When it's dry, the pattern and color on his shell is not as clear as shown in the close-up shot. It's normally light brown - as you can see in the other photo.

Here is another one..

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think he's a gulf coast box turtle (Terrapene carolina major)

Hi Sunshade:

Welcome to the forum!! May we know your name?

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
I said three toed earlier, but now I think Yvonne is right ... gulf coast boxie. Is it male or female?

Status
Not open for further replies.