Hi from California

Status
Not open for further replies.

SightedSphinx

5 Year Member
Hi guys I've been thinking of getting a tortoise, but right now I have no idea of which kind to get... I really want a big outdoor tortoise since I live in southern California. it doesn't get too cold here. Any suggestions? Thank you

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SoCal
Welcome! You should really consider a sulcata! They absolutely thrive in SoCal...but they do get to be anywhere from 100-250 lbs. There are plenty of sources to choose from...not the least of which would be my buddy Tom...who is also a member here. What part of SoCal are you located? I'm in the Antelope Valley!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Welcome to the Forum :D and I suppose it would depend on what your idea of a large tortoise species means....there are some that range from 50 pounds all the way to Aldabra or Galapagos at 600+ pounds....so perhaps you may want to REALLY study and research what you are getting into? Have you ever hosted a reptile before and/or a tortoise?

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
Agree with the above, definitely depends on how you're defining "big." LOL!
How much outdoor space do you have?

California Desert Tortoises do really well outdoors in SoCal since they're native to the area. The get to about 14" long.

Welcome to the forum! :)

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
SightedSphinx said:
Hi guys I've been thinking of getting a tortoise, but right now I have no idea of which kind to get... I really want a big outdoor tortoise since I live in southern California. it doesn't get too cold here. Any suggestions? Thank you

Hello...if. you want big and have the space, I suggest a sulcata..they are great torts...

SightedSphinx

5 Year Member
Thanks everybody for the replies. I live in southern orange county. I have really been looking at the leopard tortoises I love their patterns. I do though, have a small dog, I've read some of the other stories with how incompatible tortoises and dogs are.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Yeap. Dogs and tortoises don't mix. Even if you say you have the friendliest dog in the world, they are unpredictable. I have heard horror stories with dogs that would never hurt anything. So, unless you you you can guarantee that your dog will never be alone with your tortoise, I would not have both. Either the dog or a tortoise.

Status
Not open for further replies.