Hello guys. New here! Need help identifying my tort

Status
Not open for further replies.

Awdpwnz

5 Year Member
Hello! My name is Chris and I recently adopted this tortoise from a family friend as she can't and don't have the time anymore to give him the proper care that he needs

I joined this forum to learn a bit more and research the do's and dont's in having a pet as such.

I did a little research online and tried to match up pictures to indentify what kind of tort he is and he closest I came up with was a Russian tort

Meet Greg
image.jpg

Any idea what type he is? Diet? I've been giving him assorted kinds of lettuce

Also he came in this dinky little 10 gallon glass aquarium and I felt bad so I got him a larger bunny/guinea pig cage which is my current project and would come here for advice on how to set his new home up.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Chris, and welcome to the Forum!

It's a three toed box turtle (Terrapene carolina triunguis). They eat bugs and worms, fruit and veggies. They like to sit in the water, and prefer a moist habitat with lots of plants.

Depending upon where you live (in the world), they do quite nicely outside.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Chris welcome to the TFO
Thank you Yvonne G. As always I
Thought it was a 3 toe or I needed
New eye glasses have a great day

Awdpwnz

5 Year Member
Gotcha, I live in Chicago il USA .. He is mostly in doors since I live in a apt.

Is there any source of protein besides bug and worms? I personally despise them..haha

Also what fruits do you guys recommended for him?

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Aww...you're not gonna get him super worms and crickets? I don't like bugs either, buy when I had a box turtle, that's what I fed him. Let your wife buy the bugs at a pet store:p

Awdpwnz

5 Year Member
Yvonne G said:
Hi Chris, and welcome to the Forum!

It's a three toed box turtle (Terrapene carolina triunguis). They eat bugs and worms, fruit and veggies. They like to sit in the water, and prefer a moist habitat with lots of plants.

Depending upon where you live (in the world), they do quite nicely outside.

I'm very very new to this.. Can you guys name a few veggies and fruits that are ok for him to eat? Also which plants should I get for him? Are the plants for shelter or is it something for him to eat?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You'll find out what types of food the turtle likes by trial and error. Some of mine eat one thing and others won't touch that thing. Start with canteloup and strawberries with some meal worms on top. Then next offer some cucumber on a bed of red-leaf lettuce with night crawlers on top. You can also offer tomatoes, zucchini, pears, peaches, crickets. Here's a link to a good care sheet for turtles:

http://turtlepuddle.org/american/boxcare.html

and:

http://turtlepuddle.org/health/turtlefood.html

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
Aggree, Three Toed Boxie, and a very pretty one at that! He really needs some live foods but as adults, that need is less than a juvie or baby. If you have an aversion to live foods then you can try and feed him boiled egg whites (yolks, if he will eat them, are very fatty and should be fed in moderation), veggie omelette cooked dry (no oil or butter) and allowed to cool, diced lean red meat (raw) or boiled or broiled chicken cooked with no extra salt or pepper. Also try any and all non-citrus fruits. They also LOVE tomatoes. You still can't go wrong buying some big ole canadian night crawlers and when you get him a cage with some good dirt substrate just let them go in there. he will hunt and eat them at his leasure. Just make a "crate" out of ply wood and line it with plastic! Good luck!

Awdpwnz

5 Year Member
Oh my!! You guys are really really helpful and I truly appreciate that.

This might be a very dumb question but my turtle has 4 toes..... You guys still think he is a 3 toed box turtle? Haha or am I missing something here?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
We're talking about the toes on the back feet. Three toes on the back feet. Sometimes they'll have more, but mostly they have 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.