1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Hello new here

Discussion in 'Russian tortoises' started by Selmer, Mar 13, 2018.

1. Selmer

Selmer New Member

I have an RT and he likes to stay in his hide area all morning, I turn the UVB and heat lamps on at 7 am and come home for lunch and he is still in his hide this has gone on since we got him 3 days ago. I have been taking him out of the hide and putting him in the basking area is this ok? Should I just leave him alone? I feel like he still may be getting used to things, but not sure. I haven't seen him drink any water yet but he has eaten a bit here and there. last night I held some cilantro up to his nose and he ate a few bites of it but that was it. thanks for the advice.
  2. RosemaryDW

RosemaryDW Well-Known Member TFO Supporter

(These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    Welcome!

You’ve just changed his whole world; he needs some time to adjust. He sees you as a predator and is hiding; that’s what nature has programmed him to do to survive. Give him some privacy while he checks things out. Eventually he’ll see you less as a thread and more of a food god, it might take a few days or a few weeks.

He’s eating some; that’s a very good sign. Russians don’t necessarily drink a lot of water; mine only does after hibernation and once when she had a cold. My tortoise can’t stand cilantro so I already think yours is pretty openminded about food! :)

We would like to see pictures of your setup, since not having the lighting or enclosure right can affect how a tortoise is walking around and eating.
    Selmer likes this.
  3. Selmer

Selmer New Member

I have him in a 2' by 3' box which I am aware is much to small for him I will be building him something new this weekend. I got rid of the water bowl as I was told it is a death trap. I was told the coil uvb isn't the best for him so looking into changing that as well. His heat light is only 75w and is now sitting about 8-9 inches from the floor. He only has one hide right now and it is open on both ends so I need to get another closed end that will stay more humid.

Any advice is appreciated, thanks

Attached Files:

4. Grandpa Turtle 144

Grandpa Turtle 144 Well-Known Member 5 Year Member

5. Selmer

Selmer New Member

Here are a couple more pics of my current set up.

Attached Files: