Hello! New Sulcata owners in Rio Rancho, NM

Dudoku

Location (City and/or State)
New Mexico
Hello!

We are Dustin, Donna and baby Kurt. Family of three that just grew by three Sulcata hatchlings (names tbd, but we are leaning toward Eon, Era, and Mannie). Pictures will be coming soon, promise!

We have a huge lot and are excited to get these guys outside, but for now are doing our best with the indoor thing. I was surprised to learn they need so much humidity!! Before I found this forum, all the other guidance was centered on the "desert" aspect of these giants. Right now the little ones are in a clear-sided rubbermaid on bermuda grass clippings with a guinea-pig size hidy-box. We have a reptile heat lamp (don't know specifics) over the box. I am running out today to get a humidifier, lid, orchid bark, peat moss, and spray bottle.

Last night we fed water-soaked timothy grass pellets that the breeder gave us, and hibiscus flowers and leaves. I know that the breeder was soaking them daily and they were housed on peat moss as substrate.

I'm excited to learn more about our new lifelong pets and make sure they have long, happy lives with us!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, Dustin and Donna!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:). Your not alone in the surprise you got once you found this forum. Unfortunatley, there is not much good info out there. Luckily this forum does have it. Please read Toms threads below in my post if you haven't yet. Also please be aware that you may have to seperate your three from each other down the road a bit. Tortosies don't like company, so keep a close eye out for bullying, even as slight as one not eating, growing or roaming like the others.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello and welcome to the TFO from AZ . My Leopards haves 13x36 feet enclosure and a few years ago I planted some Alo plants and now it's a plot about 4 x4 feet and the leopards spend most of the day in the plot

Dudoku

New Mexico
Hello and Welcome:). Your not alone in the surprise you got once you found this forum. Unfortunatley, there is not much good info out there. Luckily this forum does have it. Please read Toms threads below in my post if you haven't yet. Also please be aware that you may have to seperate your three from each other down the road a bit. Tortosies don't like company, so keep a close eye out for bullying, even as slight as one not eating, growing or roaming like the others.
We have read all of Tom's posts very carefully and a lot of Dean's as well. We hope that with three rather than two they will manage better, but we are aware of the potential for bullying and aggression. (fingers crossed). We only got them yesterday, so not enough time to evaluate that yet.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
i figured you had read Toms threads, but just wanted to be sure:D. Lots of sight barriers will help, along with seperate feeding dishes placed in different locations and hides. A couple water dishes wouldn't hurt either. Good luck, Fingutes crossed for you:)

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, Dustin, Donna and Kurt, and a very warm welcome to (possibly) Eon; Era and Mannie.
Don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Hello and welcome. Good to have you here. welcome.

Dudoku

New Mexico
As promised, PICTURES!! :tort::<3::cool:

Weights and measures on 8/12: Small is 35g-65mm. Medium is 44g-72mm. Large is 58g-83mm. We continue to try out names, so for now sizes are the names.

Very soon we will build a closed enclosure like the one in Tom's post. We are hoping to be able to convert it to a night box when they outgrow it. Have a few questions:
  • Are their measurements in a healthy range? Where do we check that and what can we do if they aren't?
  • Having trouble finding the RHPs, suggestions?
  • What are your thoughts on farrowing pads (aka pig blankets)?
  • Would 3x6 be big enough for a night box?
  • Even though their current temporary enclosure is small, do they still need a separate night box at this age/size?
  • Our yard is all gravel with pavers and flagstone, is this safe for them to roam on, or should we clear the gravel from their outdoor sunning area? We keep hearing that sand is bad for them, but then most sunning enclosures are on sand/dirt. :confused:
Thank you all for checking us out!

dudoco-jpg.143410

Attachments

• WP_20150812_19_04_05_Pro.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 7
  • WP_20150812_19_05_53_Pro.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 4
  • WP_20150812_19_07_14_Pro.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 5
  • WP_20150812_19_12_32_Pro.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 4
  • WP_20150812_21_33_29_Pro.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 4
  • dudoco.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 14
Last edited by a moderator:

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Lovely.
Torts grow at varying speeds, even when kept in exactly the same conditions.
The important thing is to ensure that they put on weight progressively each month.
Don"t do this every day or even week as it will shoot up and down depending on what they've eaten, drunk, excreted etc and this will drive you bonkers.
A steady month by month growth is all that you need to see.

Dudoku

New Mexico
Lovely.
Torts grow at varying speeds, even when kept in exactly the same conditions.
The important thing is to ensure that they put on weight progressively each month.
Don"t do this every day or even week as it will shoot up and down depending on what they've eaten, drunk, excreted etc and this will drive you bonkers.
A steady month by month growth is all that you need to see.
Thank you for that reassurance!!