hello

Status
Not open for further replies.

dlynne

5 Year Member
Just found this place, and im glad I did. we have a Russian turtle, we got him from a store that kept marking him down, so I wanted to take him home worried that if he got much cheaper someone not caring would adopt him. Anyway,weve tried putting him in a bigger place from a 20 gal tank to a huge built area, which he didnt seem to like. So now hes in a 55 gal tank, but doesnt seem happy there either. maybe he needs to be with others his kind,So, my thoughts were to find someone who would love him,my problem is finding the right person to take him in. Can you help? I cant give his tank away, as its not mine, its on loan...thank you.

chairman

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Mississippi
Welcome to the forum. If you're looking for a new home for your tort, your general location (city/state) would be helpful. If you're looking for how to make your tort happy, this is a great place to do so. I suppose first you might want to outline what makes you think he's not happy... is he not eating? not moving around a lot? And how do you have him set up in terms of lighting, heating, substrate, humidity, diet?

sammi

10 Year Member!
San Diego, CA
First off, Welcome! Secondly, IMO, torts never seem too happy in a new enclosure, even if you've simply remodeled his house. Ernie [my Russian tortoise] gets weird when I move things around. I'm pretty sure the stress of bringing him home, and putting him into numerous enclosures had something to do with it. He needs time to settle in, and get used to his surroundings. Tortoises are solitary creatures too..so they don't technically need to have buddy. If you have your heart set on the little guy though and would prefer to keep him, everyone here is more than willing to help you along the way =]

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Dlynn:

1099834hix95m99ef.gif

to the forum!

What activity are you seeing that makes you think the tortoise isn't happy?

Little Russian tortoises do a lot of pacing, they're very active little tortoises. Is that what you are seeing?

In my opinion, you should have left him in the "huge built area," and allowed him to get used to it for a couple weeks. I have always felt that tortoises don't like change. So it will take your little tortoise a while to get used to his new home, and changing him around from this spot to that bigger spot the another spot, doesn't help him any.

Decide which habitat you like the best for him and his comfort, then put him there and leave him there. He'll get used to it and settle down.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Welcome to the forum dlynne. You sound as if you have a big heart to purchase a tort you want to have well taken care of. :) I agree with all that has been said before in this thread. If you want to keep him we will be happy to help. If you really feel you want to give him up you are also welcome to place an ad in the for sale or adoption sections. I suggest you put your area a picture if able and if you are charging the price. Good luck. Russians are very sweet, active and personable, fun torts. :)

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
My three russians are outside torts, I keep them outside during spring and summer and thru fall until it gets to cold and then they go into hibernation. Most people who keep theirs indoors usually use those big rubbermaid containers, If I have to keep one indoors ( one of mine is uner vet's care right now so I am overwintering her) I use those giant cement mixing tubs form home depot or OSH they cost about 30 dollars and work very well. Some russias need time to settle down so he may just be adjusting to the new enviromwnt. I would suggest trying and keeping the russian as said before they make a great pet and mine are very personable. But if you feel you must give it up you could always advertise it here. Anyways welcome and here is hoping you keep it.

dlynne

5 Year Member
:) Im not really looking to get rid of him, I just thought he was maybe sad, not knowing much and getting so many bits of advise and not really knowing what to do. I am in Oregon, Portland area. We have had this little guy for about 1 1/2 years now.When we got him he was in a small 10 gal tank and we were told thats where hes been since they had him about 2 years, hes now about 5 from what they said when we got him . We got him home and put him in a 20 gal tank, I dint think that was big enough, so we built a wooden cage forhim, set up with lights. Well, there he jsut seem to stay in one spot, not moving around like the other ones we had seen in the stores. We also had a tough time getting him to eat anything but Romaine, as thats all they said they fed him. We tried different things but he just leaves it. So, not moving in the wooden box we built which was about 4ftx4 ft. we put him in a 55 gal tank about 6 months ago. hes doing the same thing, just stays in one place, we have heat in there, night heat, I mist it daily, he gets a bath about once a week. Still he just sits in there. Now, in the summer we try to get him outside on wamer days, he runs amuck! lol Love it! But, we get him back in and he again just sits, Do I get him a friend? Both lights are 100 watt, is what we were told to get. He does how ever like Applesauce, but was told only to give that to him maybe once a month.Sigh.... Hes a cute little guy and I just want to do whats best for him. I guess im thinking hes unhappy cause he just doesnt move like the ones in the stores... He eats, some. he gets calicum here and there, his shell looks good.If you can help, I would greatly apperciate it...Thank you
chairman said:
Welcome to the forum. If you're looking for a new home for your tort, your general location (city/state) would be helpful. If you're looking for how to make your tort happy, this is a great place to do so. I suppose first you might want to outline what makes you think he's not happy... is he not eating? not moving around a lot? And how do you have him set up in terms of lighting, heating, substrate, humidity, diet?

PS.I want toThank you for welcoming me to the room and for all your advise.. Im just glad I found this place, im sure from how it sounds im at the right place to make this little guy happy. I will be checking in often and work on whats best for him

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Welcome to the group! Tortoises are solitary by nature. I think with tweaking the enclosure you may get him more active. Can you post pictures, describe the temperatures, substrate, light/heat/UVB, the entire diet, and pictures of the tortoise?

sammi

10 Year Member!
San Diego, CA
The best enclosure for him was definitely the wooden 4' X 4' box. They need room to roam and explore, and need stuff [like rocks, fake plants, hides] to keep them interested. You can get slate too to put down as a food plate for him that will help keep his nails trimmed. You can get slate at HomeDepot or Lowes, and fake plants at Michaels. Half log hides and such can be purchased from a reptile store, I highly recommend LLLreptile.com He does need a temperature gradient in his cage, that might be your problem as well. A cool area around 75 degrees, and a warm area around 95 degrees.

dlynne

5 Year Member
Okay I see what you are saying Sammy. After the new year I will bring back in the box, add some more things for him to explore in. We do have a log he goes into a times, but I like the idea of a slate for his nails,as I dint know they needed soemthing to keep them trimmed. Weve always just put it in a dish.The room he was in, its usually around 68 degrees or higher, in summer it can get warmer, in his box we had a area where we put up the lights if he felt he needed to get warmer, which at times he visited that we seen. In his tank now, hes in a 55 gal fish tank in the hall way, we have the lights on the one side, so he can get cooler on the other, thats where we put his food, on the cooler side.He tends to stay on the side where the lights are, but. most of the time just stays in the same spot.not active..So, I guess I just need to give him more to explore? . Trying to get him to eat more of a variety has been a tough one, as all he was raised on was Romaine, he either wont eat it or eat around it, any ideas on what to do there? I read in here that somone gave a few other things I added lastnight to his romaine, we noticed he ate the romaine LOL.But, like I said before he likes applesauce, but was warned not to give it to him uch if at all, so I dont hardly ever cause I dont want him getting ill....Thanks for your advise,As a family, were taking all this in so we can make this guy happier
sammi said:
The best enclosure for him was definitely the wooden 4' X 4' box. They need room to roam and explore, and need stuff [like rocks, fake plants, hides] to keep them interested. You can get slate too to put down as a food plate for him that will help keep his nails trimmed. You can get slate at HomeDepot or Lowes, and fake plants at Michaels. Half log hides and such can be purchased from a reptile store, I highly recommend LLLreptile.com He does need a temperature gradient in his cage, that might be your problem as well. A cool area around 75 degrees, and a warm area around 95 degrees.

sammi

10 Year Member!
San Diego, CA
At LLL Reptile you can pick up a thermometer to measure your temps. I recommend the PE1, its only $25 and works really well. His lights should be on 12-14 hours a day. What kind of bulbs do you have? Are you providing him with both UVA and UVB? You can add a ceramic hear emitter, or a red bulb too if your temps are dropping too low at night. As for his diet, variety is key. This site: http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/site/tortoise_home_1.asp gives a lot of good information, including pictures on all different weeds and veggies they can and can't have. Its based in the UK, but it still has helpful info wherever you are. Fruits are okay once in a while as a treat, as they could give him diarrhea if fed too often. You can slowly mix new foods in, until he's eating more than just romaine. Add something new each day, bit by bit, until he get used to eating new things.

Glad to hear you'll put him back in the bigger enclosure. When you do, add plants and hides, logs, and rocks to make it interesting. The more open space you can break up, the better. When they can't see all the way to the other side of the enclosure, it seems bigger to them. Good luck =]

Status
Not open for further replies.