Hello!

Sica8278

Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
I just wanted to say hi and introduce myself. I'm Jessica and I am in the Northern Ohio area. We just got our new little Sulcata this past week, and are very excited. Hopefully we have its tank set up correctly. The people we got it from told us a 10 gallon with just a uva light was fine. We have it in a 75 gallon with a MVB bulb. I am having issues with the humidity being to low though.

Attachments

• 20180128_215502.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 21
  • 20180128_215428-1.jpg
    20180128_215428-1.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 30

Bambam1989

East Texas
I just wanted to say hi and introduce myself. I'm Jessica and I am in the Northern Ohio area. We just got our new little Sulcata this past week, and are very excited. Hopefully we have its tank set up correctly. The people we got it from told us a 10 gallon with just a uva light was fine. We have it in a 75 gallon with a MVB bulb. I am having issues with the humidity being to low though.
Hello and welcome!
I recommend going through and reading these. They will probably help alot, the information has been proven to work again and again on this forum, unlike alot of the old, outdated, and even dangerous care info floating around. Feel free to ask any questions after!
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-45180.html

https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/

https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/sulcata-diet-sheet.64290/

Handy safe food website!
http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/index.php#.Wm6cc-CIbqC

Sica8278

Ohio
Ok thank you for all the info! Any ideas as to how to get this little one to eat? Doesn't seem to have hardly any appetite. Maybe just still adjusting? It did finally poop today lol on my husband's hand.

Bambam1989

East Texas
Did you receive your little one from a breeder or a petstore? If your offering food that he has never had before he may not realize it's ok to eat. Ask whoever you got it from what they were feeding. To encourage it to eat more variety, mix the food it knows is safe with any new stuff.

Sica8278

Ohio
Did you receive your little one from a breeder or a petstore? If your offering food that he has never had before he may not realize it's ok to eat. Ask whoever you got it from what they were feeding. To encourage it to eat more variety, mix the food it knows is safe with any new stuff.

The lady I got it from said they were feeding it greens and that it loved apples. That's pretty much it. But she also told me a 10 gallon tank with just a uva bulb was good to, and to keep it on hay for bedding.

Bambam1989

East Texas
O my, please be sure to read those links I provided.
This is not a fruit eating species, it's like giving milk to someone who is lactose intolerant.
The sulcata diet sheet has lots of good food suggestions.
You said he has not eaten in a week, correct? It is possible that the lack of appetite is from him still adjusting but alot of other things can cause this.
What are the temps in the enclosure?
If your not already, please soak your tort daily for a minimum of 15minutes in warm water (I soak my 5month old daily for 45-65minutes)

Sica8278

Ohio
O my, please be sure to read those links I provided.
This is not a fruit eating species, it's like giving milk to someone who is lactose intolerant.
The sulcata diet sheet has lots of good food suggestions.
You said he has not eaten in a week, correct? It is possible that the lack of appetite is from him still adjusting but alot of other things can cause this.
What are the temps in the enclosure?
If your not already, please soak your tort daily for a minimum of 15minutes in warm water (I soak my 5month old daily for 45-65minutes)

He (lol I'm just going to call it a him) has nibbled a tiny bit here and there, but didn't eat anything the last 2 days. Nothing like what I feel from what I've read here that he should be eating. The temp were around 90 under the light and mid 70's-80 on the cool side. I am having a hard time getting the humidity up, but have covered the top completely now so hopefully I will see some changes soon with that. It is very humid in the hide I made, and the substrate is very damp so hopefully it will start moving into the air with the top closed. He seems pretty sluggish and doesn't open his eyes much except when he does eat, or when I give him his daily soaks. We have only had him about 4 days now, but we already love this little guy.

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
Try using the temps. I believe for a baby Sulcata temp should be no less then 80 in the whole enclosure and basking temp should be at least 95. If the temps are not right, he can not digest his food and will not eat.

Bambam1989

East Texas
Cheryl's suggestions are good. If your temps are lower than 80f anywhere in the enclosure you have an increased risk of developing a respritory infection. A basking spot between 95-100 is ideal to help them heat their bodies up for better digestion.
Also, what kind of substrate are you using and what kind of lighting are you using? We want to make sure nothing is possibly irritating his eyes.

Sica8278

Ohio
@Bambam1989 and @Cheryl Hills he seems to be a little interested in the mustard greens I got to try as well as the kale. I have attached a picture of my thermometer / hydrometer and the bulbs I am using. I can not seem to be able to get the heat and humidity to go up?

Attachments

• 20180129_122216.jpg
    20180129_122216.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 25
  • 20180129_122222-1.jpg
    20180129_122222-1.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 25
  • 20180129_122558.jpg
    20180129_122558.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 19
  • 20180129_122411-1.jpg
    20180129_122411-1.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 22

Bambam1989

East Texas
The heat is still escaping too easily. There are gaps all around the plastic lid as well as the light.
I would like to give you a warning about sphagnum moss. It has been known to cause impaction in torts on occasion, I have also heard one report of a young hatchling becoming entangled in it.
Some people on this forum use Cypress mulch, I personally think it's too pokey and just looks uncomfortable to me. I prefer fine grade orchid bark and coco coir.
The substrate is too dry. Once you get your temps where you want them(high humidity with low temps may cause illness) pour water directly into the substrate and then mix it with your hands and then pack it smooth.
That blue night light is not very good for torts. They can see colors better than we can and it confuses them when everything is red or blue. They can't tell if it is truly night and sometimes begin to eat substrate because it looks like food. A CHE (ceramic heating element) is much better option for night heat(night temps should not drop below 80 either).

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome!

Buy some romaine and chop it up into very tiny pieces. then take an apple and chop a slice of that up into tiny pieces. . . or even mash it with the potato masher. Mix the mashed apple with the romaine until all the romaine is coated and it smells like apple. You can slowly introduce more good greens (from the list in that link given above) and less apple, until you've eliminated the apple completely.

You don't want to get him started eating too many of the greens from the brassica family as they are high in goitrogens. A bit occasionally is fine. Same with spinach.

Sica8278

Ohio
The heat is still escaping too easily. There are gaps all around the plastic lid as well as the light.
I would like to give you a warning about sphagnum moss. It has been known to cause impaction in torts on occasion, I have also heard one report of a young hatchling becoming entangled in it.
Some people on this forum use Cypress mulch, I personally think it's too pokey and just looks uncomfortable to me. I prefer fine grade orchid bark and coco coir.
The substrate is too dry. Once you get your temps where you want them(high humidity with low temps may cause illness) pour water directly into the substrate and then mix it with your hands and then pack it smooth.
That blue night light is not very good for torts. They can see colors better than we can and it confuses them when everything is red or blue. They can't tell if it is truly night and sometimes begin to eat substrate because it looks like food. A CHE (ceramic heating element) is much better option for night heat(night temps should not drop below 80 either).

Sorry if this sounds really stupid, but how do put the lights in w/o having any holes?

Stuart S.

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Paris, Texas
Welcome to the forum! How is your baby doing? Has your humidity level risen?

Sica8278

Ohio
Welcome to the forum! How is your baby doing? Has your humidity level risen?
We are finally getting our temps and humidity up there. Thank goodness our little Meeps (lol that's what my kids decided to name our tortoise) is a tough one! The 93 degree is back and not directly under the heat lamp so I'm sure it's close to the 100 mark right under.

Attachments

• 20180201_065244-1.jpg
    20180201_065244-1.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 5

Sica8278

Ohio
I've been using a spray bottle several times a day to keep the humidity up as well as daily soaks.