Hello!

GeorgiaK

Location (City and/or State)
England, UK
New member so just wanted to introduce myself. I'm Georgia and I'm from the UK, I have a 10 year old russian/horsefield tortoise called Sheldon, hopefully will be getting another soon too, how many tortoises does everyone else own?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
New member so just wanted to introduce myself. I'm Georgia and I'm from the UK, I have a 10 year old russian/horsefield tortoise called Sheldon, hopefully will be getting another soon too, how many tortoises does everyone else own?
Hi Georgia and welcome I'm in the UK too .
I'm owned by a leopard tortoise called Lola. I've been a member for almost 5 years and I still learn something new here every day!
There is a good caresheet for Russians in the Species section and lots of other great advice in all the other threads.

Before you buy a second tort make sure you read all the advice regarding keeping pairs.
If they will be housed separately there won't be a problem but 2 together in a limited space could cause big problems.
Torts are solitary, territorial creatures who don't like competition or friends.
One becomes dominant and will bully the other by following, staring, biting and pushing etc. and if male and female the male will constantly harass the female to mate.
The one on the receiving end will have a pretty stressed, miserable and often short life.
Having said that if you are able to set them up in their own enclosures with their own lamps etc there won't be any of these problems.

Do you have any pics of Sheldon and his enclosure?

GeorgiaK

England, UK
I'm owned by a leopard tortoise called Lola. I've been a member for almost 5 years and I still learn something new here every day!
There is a good caresheet for Russians in the Species section and lots of other great advice in all the other threads.

Before you buy a second tort make sure you read all the advice regarding keeping pairs.
If they will be housed separately there won't be a problem but 2 together in a limited space could cause big problems.
Torts are solitary, territorial creatures who don't like competition or friends.
One becomes dominant and will bully the other by following, staring, biting and pushing etc. and if male and female the male will constantly harass the female to mate.
The one on the receiving end will have a pretty stressed, miserable and often short life.
Having said that if you are able to set them up in their own enclosures with their own lamps etc there won't be any of these problems.

Hey, how old is lola? I love leopards shells there so nice. Yeah I will definately be having a look at that see what more I can learn. no they won't be kept in the same enclosure I've read about that, will be kept in separate. Also I'm doing some research about breeds, I love Russians but I kinda want to get a different type so I'm still looking into it. Yes will upload soon pic of him and his enclosure

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hey, how old is lola? I love leopards shells there so nice. Yeah I will definately be having a look at that see what more I can learn. no they won't be kept in the same enclosure I've read about that, will be kept in separate. Also I'm doing some research about breeds, I love Russians but I kinda want to get a different type so I'm still looking into it. Yes will upload soon pic of him and his enclosure
Lola is about 8 - 10 years old. He was found in a field and unclaimed so he adopted me.
(Yes I did say 'he' The first vet I took him to said he was female so I called him Lola but he eventually showed me that she was a he! The name stuck - as in the Kinks song) He is just over a foot long now and has his own adapted room as he is too big for a viv or table.
Leopards are pretty more difficult than most to keep in the UK - they need high temps all year around as they don't hibernate - my bills have shot up in the last 5 years!!

GeorgiaK

England, UK
Lola is about 8 - 10 years old. He was found in a field and unclaimed so he adopted me.
(Yes I did say 'he' The first vet I took him to said he was female so I called him Lola but he eventually showed me that she was a he! The name stuck - as in the Kinks song) He is just over a foot long now and has his own adapted room as he is too big for a viv or table.
Leopards are pretty more difficult than most to keep in the UK - they need high temps all year around as they don't hibernate - my bills have shot up in the last 5 years!!
Ah bless is that him in your picture? do you have any more tortoises? Haha a similar thing happened to me, Sheldon did used to be shelly when I first got him but like you he eventually showed us he wasn't a shelly, luckily the name was easy enough to sort of swap. That would be amazing having a full room for a tortoise lol, will definately be doing that when I move out but for now I'll have to stick to the smaller torts. Will be like in esio trot when I get my own place lol. I've been looking at greek ones too but I don't know what to go for yet. Haha I can imagine, they are worth it though

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Ah bless is that him in your picture? do you have any more tortoises? Haha a similar thing happened to me, Sheldon did used to be shelly when I first got him but like you he eventually showed us he wasn't a shelly, luckily the name was easy enough to sort of swap. That would be amazing having a full room for a tortoise lol, will definately be doing that when I move out but for now I'll have to stick to the smaller torts. Will be like in esio trot when I get my own place lol. I've been looking at greek ones too but I don't know what to go for yet. Haha I can imagine, they are worth it though
No I wouldn't want any more.
It's hard enough to find someone to look after him if I wanted to go away. I haven't been away in 5 years!
Also the more torts you have the more space you need so it wouldn't be fair to him, and of course the more lamps and ches you run - the bills keep rising!!
I actually never wanted a tortoise - it was the last pet I would have chosen for myself , and I was only supposed to be a half way house for him until my sister was ready to take him. However that all fell through and while I was trying to find another home for him he got under my skin - then I couldn't let him go. So we're stuck with each other now. Thankfully I found this forum and have been able to do my very best for him with all the advice and help here.
Photo0405_001.jpg yes this is Lola 5 years ago, that 35 cm saucer is too small for him now!

Last edited:

GeorgiaK

England, UK
Fair enough that's true, at least he found a good home with you but I bet you couldn't live without him now. Yeah I've come across this forum many times when looking for advice but sometimes you can never find the exact thing so I decided to join. I mean I got Sheldon when I was 8 so I won't lie I probably didnt give him all the things he needed but advice and people who have had the same problems on here helped a lot to correct what I was doing. He's now a happy little tort I hope, when he's not trying to bite my feet lol.

Chello_97

England
Hey guys! I'm new to this whole forum thing. I currently have a russian tort names Charlie. I decided to join to ensure I'm giving him proper care as torts are such unique creatures.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hey guys! I'm new to this whole forum thing. I currently have a russian tort names Charlie. I decided to join to ensure I'm giving him proper care as torts are such unique creatures.
Hi and welcome.
The UK contingent is growing - the more the merrier!
Why don't you start your own thread in Introductions so that you can tell us about yourself and your tort and post pics without them getting confused with Georgia.
You'll get a very warm welcome!!:)

GeorgiaK

England, UK

IMG-20180817-WA0046.jpg
IMG_20190402_124944.jpgsorry it took so long to upload, this is Sheldon and his enclosure. The beech chip substrate is just a trial I'm trying out different substrates, he seems okay with this one though, I will also soon be getting him a bigger enclosure, the bigger the better:) and suggestions or tips welcome anything I can do to make it better. IMG_20190402_124747.jpgthis was also just after I fully cleaned so it won't look that that in a few days lol :D

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
View attachment 268787
View attachment 268784sorry it took so long to upload, this is Sheldon and his enclosure. The beech chip substrate is just a trial I'm trying out different substrates, he seems okay with this one though, I will also soon be getting him a bigger enclosure, the bigger the better:) and suggestions or tips welcome anything I can do to make it better. View attachment 268788this was also just after I fully cleaned so it won't look that that in a few days lol :D
Well hello Sheldon!
He is lovely and certainly will be needing a bigger enclosure soon.
I think the that substrate may be too dry for him as I believe Russians like to dig, and it won't hold any humidity, but have a look at the caresheet and this will give you better options so that you don't have to keep trying different types they will also tell you about diet and temps etc
Use these links
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/b...or-other-herbivorous-tortoise-species.107734/
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
You may find differences of opinions on things like temps but I would say to go with the one best suited to Sheldon and your home.

Also be careful of feeding him on a mat /towel because with that sharp beak he could ingest some of the fibres or fluffy bits.

GeorgiaK

England, UK
Well hello Sheldon!
He is lovely and certainly will be needing a bigger enclosure soon.
I think the that substrate may be too dry for him as I believe Russians like to dig, and it won't hold any humidity, but have a look at the caresheet and this will give you better options so that you don't have to keep trying different types they will also tell you about diet and temps etc
Use these links
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/b...or-other-herbivorous-tortoise-species.107734/
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
You may find differences of opinions on things like temps but I would say to go with the one best suited to Sheldon and your home.

Also be careful of feeding him on a mat /towel because with that sharp beak he could ingest some of the fibres or fluffy bits.
Yes definately, I'm going to order the one that's double the size of this one so he will have much more room. Ahh thankyou for the caresheet, it's definately hard when there is so many different opinions but I'll have a look at that. Yes I never usually let him eat on that surface it was just where he was sat at the time and the kale and watermelon was a treat after his check up at the vets, but thankyou will definately look into the caresheet to check out substrates :D