Hello

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonahbassjazz

5 Year Member
Hello,

I'm a new member and from New York City. I am planning on getting a tortoise soon for my New York City apartment. I'm looking into purchasing a reptology tortoise table and a baby hermanns tortoise. What do you guys think? Thanks for your help.

J

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
Welcome tot he forum, I hope you enjoy your visits here.
Hermanns are one of the smaller tortoises so it should work. how big is the table?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Welcome to TFO :)

Having looked it up - it measures 4' x 2'6"... not huge, but big enough for a hatchling. There are cheaper alternatives (It's $479 on Amazon!) that will do just as well, if not better - have a look through the Tortoise Enclosures Form for ideas, particularly the New Setup thread.

Tom's Beginner Mistakes thread is essential reading for you!

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Hello WELCOME to the Forum ... sit back enjoy and welcome to your new additction~:D

JD~:)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi jonahbassjazz:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

Is your name Jonah?

Those manufactured tortoise houses are ok for babies, but not nearly big enough for a grown tortoise.

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
Welcome to the forum, Well you came to the right place for info before your new Purchase :)

jonahbassjazz

5 Year Member
Thanks everyone for the welcome. So you guys think that the reptology tortoise enclosure is too small for a fully grown Hermann tortoise? Im planning on getting a hermann tortoise maybe 2 years old. What would be a cheaper alternative with a cover. I heard something about a cement mixing tub ect. However I have a 1 year old son and although he is not walking yet, I would like him to be able to see the tortoise but not be able to touch it. Is it better to build an enclosure? I just figured the features of the reptology table were pretty good. It seems to be waterproof. I found a site that sells it for 350 dollars. Or do you recommend I spend that money and try to build my own enclosure? Thanks and yes you can call me Jonah.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
Cement mixing tubs, old bookcases ( not the new pressed wood junk) or build your own, for 350 you should be able to build a very nice one.

jonahbassjazz

5 Year Member
Ok I'll see what I can do to build my own. How big should it be for a hermanns tortoise?

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
As big as you can, that your space will allow. I know that is kind of vague, but if this will be his permanent home, the bigger the better.
A good rule of thumb is one square foot for every square inch of tortoise,

jonahbassjazz

5 Year Member
The Hermanns that I'm hoping to get will be 2 inches long. How big will it be before the 4X2 is to small for it? I'm sure by that time my son will be old enough for me not to worry about it anymore and then I could build a new table. Otherwise what do you guys/gals think about these fairly cheap tables? http://www.tortoisesupply.com/products/Tortoise-Table.html I'm not the most handy when it comes to building things but I would like something that looks nice in the apartment and is big enough for my tortoise to grow into. Male hermanns don't get too large I don't think?

Status
Not open for further replies.