Help! 2month old sulcata ate cypress bark substrate

Karabear95

Location (City and/or State)
Texas
my two month old sulcata was going for a piece of food he dropped, and he accidentally picked up the tiniest cypress bark chip! I can hear a clicking sound now every time he munches on something, so I am now afraid that it is stuck in the roof of his mouth! Any suggestions on how to get it out? Is there any way I can get in there to see?

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Hello, and welcome to the forum!

If he was eating something, I suspect the cypress bit went down along with the food. I don't know what the clicking would be.

My tortoise was eating chunks of cypress bark, and it went through with no problem. However, if your baby starts to eat it, you will want to change the substrate to fine grade orchid bark, which is safe if eaten.

It's not super easy to get a tort's mouth open, and I would be hesitant about trying on a baby. I would suggest waiting a couple days and watching for the bit to pass through. Make sure he has water, and encourage him to drink in his soak. That should wash the cypress down if it is still in his mouth.

I'm sure you'll get more replies..maybe one of the other members will have a safe way to open his mouth.