Help First time tortoise owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

geckos65

5 Year Member
I am purchasing a Hermanns tortoise for my son's 18th birthday. He is very knowledgeable in all reptiles and amphibians but I'm not. I want this to be a surprise, he has wanted one for a very long time but couldn't afford the purchase price. I want to make sure that all the supplies are here for when I bring the tortoise home. Could you give me a list of every thing the tortoise needs. thanks. Please include food. Not sure where to get a lot of those weeds that I have read. I live in Toronto.

geckos65

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Hi geckos65:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

What would you like us to call you?

Here is a nice article for first time tortoise-keepers. It should help you decide what to buy:

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread...ive-or-Beginner-Tortoise-Owners#axzz1rB6aIPss

Thanks for the info. A bit intimidating. Hope I'm doing the right thing in getting him one. Are they time consuming? How often do their enclosures need to be cleaned out? And exactly what kind of mulch should be used for a hermanns?

geckos65

5 Year Member
can you feed a Hermanns Timothy Hay or orchard grass by Oxbow? I have these on hand for our rabbit

HtVic

5 Year Member
1.nice to know someone who lives in Toronto going to have a tortoise
2. since your son has knowledge about how to raise a tortoise, you have nothing to worry about.
3. most tortoises eat all kind of weeds, grass, vege fro store, and commerical food.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
The Republic O' Tejas
I feed mine various weeds, various dark green leafy vegetables (except spinach!), cactus pads, soaked Marion Red Stick tortoise kibble, and an occasional treat (like one strawberry each, about once a month).

While the weeds are growing (spring and early to mid-summer), I harvest some and either freeze or dry them, and mix them w/ the soaked kibble during the cold part of the year, to augment the spring mix and other dark green leafy vegetables.

Cactus pads about every other feeding.

The cactus and weeds can be easily grown, btw.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Is your son going away to college or stay local?
How nice of you to do the homework and care enough Beofre getting the animal..
at least this size.. he mightbe able to take with him if he goes away.. OR you just might MAKE him leave it with you.. ;-)

geckos65

5 Year Member
Laura said:
My son is staying here. I would lokk after the tortoise but not those snakes of his.
Is your son going away to college or stay local?
How nice of you to do the homework and care enough Beofre getting the animal..
at least this size.. he mightbe able to take with him if he goes away.. OR you just might MAKE him leave it with you.. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.