Help...found a turtle

LadyV

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Winslow AZ
I believe it's a "Red Eared Slider" I have a Russian Tortoise and know nothing about this species. We live in Winslow AZ, so it didn't come from a pond or anything and it's extremely friendly...sticks it's head out to be rubbed and pushes up against your hand to be loved....has to be someones pet.....I'm advertising on our local sites. I fed it some of Bella's greens and I have it in the largest rubbermaid container I have with some water, it's not big enough I don't feel. It can move around but not like I would like ANY info is greatly appreciated

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Water turtles have to be underwater in order to swallow their food. Your RES will eat bugs and worms, maybe some water plants. It is pretty hard to keep a RES aquarium clean, and much easier to keep them in some sort of pond.

Spencertretter

5 Year Member
I have three red eared sliders. I had to isolate one for about a month. I put him in a giant Rubbermaid. Seeing that you have a tortoise you know might have UVB and UVA bulbs laying around. Turtles need both. You could add a heater if you want but the heat lamp should warm the water enough. Another thing you could do is keep him in a kiddie pool with water and a basking area. Clean some stones and stack them or a brick will work for basking area. Contact your local pet stores and ask if you could put a found sign up... If no one shows you could keep him or I'm sure a pet store would take him.