HELP ID a BOXIE PLEASE !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

pryncesssc

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago IL
turtlemann2 said:
the middle should be fine especially if your going to have her outside in the summer : ) she is absolutly gorgeous she would be a very pretty momma paired with a HC M TTBT : ) cant wait for pictures, and as others have said that size will work but bigger is always better, before you go out and spend alot of money on any setup consider a turtle table, a small book case flipped on its side lined with plastic filled with dirt/substriate is Perfect :)

Thanks for the suggestions .. we already have a 55 gallon that has been floating around my family . But the turtle table is definitly a possibility for the future !!

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Most box turtles live in the woods with sun light filtered through the trees. They come out in the AM and then again toward night time when the sun is just going down, to look for good. During the day they are hidden under leaf litter. So if you're making an indoor enclosure the substrate should be deep enough for them to bury themselves into. The water bowl should be large enough for her to sit in and soak. I don't use hides, just plants and long fiber moss under the plants for them to dig in. For a 55 gal. (which I use for 1 boxie that has to come in just for the Winter for any reason) I put a long tube 5.0 UVB on one side and you could use a low wt. heat emitter on the other side or a blue night light. I don't like the red ones...they just don't seem natural. I wouldn't use a 100 wt. light of any kind as they don't like bright lights. Hope this helps. This is just what works for me, and everyone does things differently.

pryncesssc

5 Year Member
Chicago IL
terryo said:
Most box turtles live in the woods with sun light filtered through the trees. They come out in the AM and then again toward night time when the sun is just going down, to look for good. During the day they are hidden under leaf litter. So if you're making an indoor enclosure the substrate should be deep enough for them to bury themselves into. The water bowl should be large enough for her to sit in and soak. I don't use hides, just plants and long fiber moss under the plants for them to dig in. For a 55 gal. (which I use for 1 boxie that has to come in just for the Winter for any reason) I put a long tube 5.0 UVB on one side and you could use a low wt. heat emitter on the other side or a blue night light. I don't like the red ones...they just don't seem natural. I wouldn't use a 100 wt. light of any kind as they don't like bright lights. Hope this helps. This is just what works for me, and everyone does things differently.

Cool , thanks for all the great info ! I will put up some pics hopefully tomorrow as I start working on everything !

Status
Not open for further replies.