pryncesssc

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago IL

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Bay Area
Looks like an eastern with the shell markings, however if she has three toes then its more than likely a eastern/three toed hybrid...which btw I am seeing alot of lately....keep us posted

pryncesssc

5 Year Member
Chicago IL
cool , i think that she is SOO PRETTY and i want to save her so bad !! thanks for the suggestions .. how would u approach care then if they are hybrid? or is EBT and 3 toe care very similar ?

turtlemann2

5 Year Member
Mid Willamette Valley, Or
thats a beautiful turtle : ) since three toed boxies are a sub sp. of the eastern box turtle they have some similer atributes some of the markings on her shell are of eastern genetics, but the rest of her shell and coloring is more three toe then eastern.

you have a hybrid, most likely second or third generation though

id snap her up as fast as i could she is a great looking girl : ) and id consider her a three toe even though she has *some eastern genes

ETA care for easterns and three toes are generally identical, and are treated the same : ) congrats

pryncesssc

5 Year Member
Chicago IL
turtlemann2 said:
thats a beautiful turtle : ) since three toed boxies are a sub sp. of the eastern box turtle they have some similer atributes some of the markings on her shell are of eastern genetics, but the rest of her shell and coloring is more three toe then eastern.

you have a hybrid, most likely second or third generation though

id snap her up as fast as i could she is a great looking girl : ) and id consider her a three toe even though she has *some eastern genes

ETA care for easterns and three toes are generally identical, and are treated the same : ) congrats

I hope i can get her !! Im a college student right now and dont have a job at the moment so its kind of my moms decision unfortunately ! Im seriously looking for a one day a week job just to make money for food and upkeep lol

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I am not convinced she is a hybrid - she looks like a young Three Toed to me. Youngsters often have more markings on them than adults do. Either way, she is beautiful and won't be any different to care for than if she was a pure Eastern or a pure Three Toed. I would get her. If she was in my area, I would LITERALLY go get her, lol!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
She is very pretty. Looks like she has a lot of personality. Tell your mom, one more would only eat what you have to throw away of the others food. That's how I see it. The amount of food that spoils/rots before it gets eaten would just feed another tort. No more expense than you already have :D
Works for me anyway:p

pryncesssc

5 Year Member
Chicago IL
wellington said:
She is very pretty. Looks like she has a lot of personality. Tell your mom, one more would only eat what you have to throw away of the others food. That's how I see it. The amount of food that spoils/rots before it gets eaten would just feed another tort. No more expense than you already have :D

HAHA my dad wants to know if ur going to support my habits :p .. it is true though, the amount that my hatchling doesnt it would be enough for Cosette (the rescue lady named her) to eat..

Im 99% sure that im going to adpot her.. my fiance told me that he would help me with her ... say a prayer for me tonight everyone !!!

AHHH SO EXCITED !!!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
pryncesssc said:
wellington said:

HAHA my dad wants to know if ur going to support my habits :p .. it is true though, the amount that my hatchling doesnt it would be enough for Cosette (the rescue lady named her) to eat..

Im 99% sure that im going to adpot her.. my fiance told me that he would help me with her ... say a prayer for me tonight everyone !!!

AHHH SO EXCITED !!!

SURE
NOT:p
HOPING YOU GET HER:D

turtlemann2

5 Year Member
Mid Willamette Valley, Or
i have to get my fix first, and once i get that theres always somthing else : ) ive got my eye on a trio right now :) hmm maybe we both will get a new turtle : )

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Bay Area
I am the same way....I had Ninja for many many years and just now got 2 new boxies...and already I am searching to see if there are any more to rescue...however it took me almost 10 yrs to finally find another ttbt like Ninja...so it may take awhile to find an actual MALE....i might separate my ornate once i get another ttbt..since they are "cleaner"..lol..by that I mean my ornate messes up the vivarium and I find myself fixing the plants and logs 2 times a day...she should have her own show on DIY...like a mix of yard crashers and desperate landscapes..how about landscape crasher!..hehee..although I love her so much....i dont mind the extra effort...

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I see Female Three Toed...beautiful with lots of color too. I would grab her fast.....and if you can't keep her send her to me! :D

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
terryo said:
I see Female Three Toed...beautiful with lots of color too. I would grab her fast.....and if you can't keep her send her to me! :D

Agreed. I doubt if it's an eastern x three-toed hybrid, because I've seen lots of pure-blooded three-toeds with those markings. Either way, the care is the same, and since they are simply subspecies, they are completely fertile and healthy, and even found in nature. But I do think she is a young female three-toed box turtle. She is really beautiful, alert, and healthy-looking. Would make a wonderful pet. Enjoy! :)

pryncesssc

5 Year Member
Chicago IL
Do you guys feel that a 55 gallon rubbermaid would be two small for an adult three toed to live in for a couple years .. I am still in school and don't know what type of house I will live in .. my brother thinks its too small and mean .. help !

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
From what I have read, they need lots of room or they will pace back and forth. They also like to have room to dig. I am not sure if that will be big enough. The one thread I found though, someone had two babies and 4 adults in a 4x6. However that was for night time. Day time they had a large out door enclosure. Hope this helps. Wait and see what others says.
Are you getting it for sure? Also where did you find a rescue site for reptiles in Chicago, I haven't found any.

pryncesssc

5 Year Member
Chicago IL
wellington said:
From what I have read, they need lots of room or they will pace back and forth. They also like to have room to dig. I am not sure if that will be big enough. The one thread I found though, someone had two babies and 4 adults in a 4x6. However that was for night time. Day time they had a large out door enclosure. Hope this helps. Wait and see what others says.
Are you getting it for sure? Also where did you find a rescue site for reptiles in Chicago, I haven't found any.

I plan to let them be outside as much as possible when the weather permits , but u know how Chicago is .. I found her on Facebook , its called Friends of Scales Reptile Rescue , she works at Chicago Exotic vets so she rescues them from there. In the future I would love to have them in a size cage like u said 4x4 or 4x6 but in the meantime should I not adopt her because I don't know what type of cage ill have in the future . I just don't want her to go to a bad home :(

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I would wait and see what others say. If you can't get her, you had plenty post on here that I think would take her. Do they hibernate in the winter? Or do you know what kind of temps they tolerate? If she could be outside most of the time, like in temps 70 and above or even lower, then she would be able to be outside most of spring, summer and some fall.

pryncesssc

5 Year Member
Chicago IL
Ambient daytime temperature of 72 to 88, with a nighttime drop of no lower then 60 are most appropriate for box turtles, but they can withstand 40 degree nights as long as the day time temps are warm.. I got this off a care sheet .. I plan to move to san Diego but I don't know if the humidity will b high enough for them to live outside all year ..

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
http://aboxturtle.com/threetoed.htm. Read this site and see if it helps, not sure though how accurate the site is. Many live in CA and they raise Sulcata and Leopards, which at least as babies need high humidity. Yes easier to maintain when they are small and in small enclosures, but with some rresearch I am sure you would be able to maintain a suitable humidity. Try to find someone with boxies in CA and see what they do.
P.S. I just looked at the boxie on the Facebook. Are you sure it doesn't have shell rot on the bottom. Have they said anything about it? I would post a pic of the underside and see what members here say about it. Also maybe send Maggie3fan a pm, she has boxes and see what she says about the bottom shell and your concerns.

Status
Not open for further replies.