Help idk where to make my tortoise enclosure

Milkman

Location (City and/or State)
Cochrane, AB
So i have a 5 yr old hermann tortoise and we’re thinking about spots to make his enclosure here are the 2 spots we found that we think would be good.

image.jpgimage.jpg

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
If sun/shade, plants, and ease of access is equal between them, I like the 2nd place. Leave the block walkway there and just enclose that entire dirt area.

The first place has too many obstacles in the way to be able to maneuver.

Just my personal opinion..

Milkman

Cochrane, AB
If sun/shade, plants, and ease of access is equal between them, I like the 2nd place. Leave the block walkway there and just enclose that entire dirt area.

The first place has too many obstacles in the way to be able to maneuver.

Just my personal opinion..
Because what we are thinking of doing is using the first place and removing everything, cementing it the putting mulch over it would this be ok?

Milkman

Cochrane, AB
Which ever area receives the morning sun the earliest and provides shade in the heat of the day.
Yes we were gonna use the first pic for a mix of sun and shade but what we are kinda worried about is winter, we live in Canada

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Because what we are thinking of doing is using the first place and removing everything, cementing it the putting mulch over it would this be ok?
I guess it would work, but why cement it? Why not just leave it dirt? It would be easier to grow plants in dirt. I'm not super familiar with Hermann's...do they tend to dig much? Cement would prevent him from digging a nice burrow. When it rains it would saturate the mulch, and might even carry it away via runoff.

As to living in Canada, are you planning on him living outside in winter? If he brumates, he would need a burrow, or be in a well heated, well insulated night box. I don't think you would brumate him outside at all. There are much safer ways to do it indoors.

Milkman

Cochrane, AB
I guess it would work, but why cement it? Why not just leave it dirt? It would be easier to grow plants in dirt. I'm not super familiar with Hermann's...do they tend to dig much? Cement would prevent him from digging a nice burrow. When it rains it would saturate the mulch, and might even carry it away via runoff.

As to living in Canada, are you planning on him living outside in winter? If he brumates, he would need a burrow, or be in a well heated, well insulated night box. I don't think you would brumate him outside at all. There are much safer ways to do it indoors.
We might just bring him back in side and put him in a temp enclosure then bring him out again and for cement thats what my mother said we are also worried about ticks

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
In my experience nothing stops ticks unless there's no plants at all in the area. If any water pools on the cement you'll have mosquitos.

Whatever you decide, have fun!