Help needed for baby tort urgently.

Saba80

Hi friends
My friend bought a baby tort.The baby was fine till yesterday when she bought to my place.I noticed that he was constantly rubbing his eyes.His eyes are watering.We took the tort to the vet who orescribed ciplox eyedrops.He has slowed down on his diet too.He has been passing stool properly and also yawning.I dont know what's wrong as for me its the first time I have torts as pets.please advice as soon as possible.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
We usually hear this same story from members who are using the compact fluorescent bulbs like this:

CFL.jpg

These bulbs burn baby tortoise's eyes, similar to snow-blindness.

Saba80

No Yvonne we stay in Mumbai and climate is very hot and humid.So no bulbs are used as night temp.is around 32 degree celcius.which is good enough for them.Only thing she bought the tort in car with ac on so can this be the reason.

Saba80

He has been scratching his eyes with his front limbs.What could be the matter?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
If the humidity is too low that could cause eye problems. Air conditioning is very dehydrating.

Make sure the enclosure substrate is moist to raise humidity. Soak the tort for a good 20 minutes daily in warm water.

Does this tortoise live outside normally? If it lives indoors without going outside daily then it must have both a UVB source and a basking lamp. The best way of doing this is with a Mercury Vapor Bulb which does both jobs.

The UVB is essential for healthy bones and the basking heat enables it to digest food.