Help please! Is this normal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

adamlikesbananas

5 Year Member
ImageUploadedByTortForum1369840778.022444.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1369840796.593625.jpg
My quarter sized RES's butt looks swollen and has a little poop on it. Should I be worried? Is he constipated? What do i do? Sorry for the low quality pics. I've looked at my other turtle and his butt isn't swollen like that.

Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The pics are too blurry to really see good. Maybe someone will be able to help. Try to get better pics too if you can.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
In the meantime, some good long soaks (30 mins plus) will help with any constipation... although RES should be getting plenty of water anyway shouldn't they?

adamlikesbananas

5 Year Member
JoesMum said:
In the meantime, some good long soaks (30 mins plus) will help with any constipation... although RES should be getting plenty of water anyway shouldn't they?

Yes I just took him out of his tank so i could take pictures.

wellington said:
The pics are too blurry to really see good. Maybe someone will be able to help. Try to get better pics too if you can.

Yeah I'll try to get better pics but he is smaller than a quarter and I'm using an iPod touch 4.

lkwagner

5 Year Member
I really can't see the pics, but are you sure its poop and not a prolapse? What are you feeding it? Is there gravel in the bottom of the tank?

adamlikesbananas

5 Year Member
lkwagner said:
I really can't see the pics, but are you sure its poop and not a prolapse? What are you feeding it? Is there gravel in the bottom of the tank?

I don't know what a prolapse is but I've been feeding him reptomin hatchling diet and I've been breaking it in half so he can eat it better. Yes there is gravel in the tank but its far to big for him to eat.

lkwagner

5 Year Member
Are you sure its "poop", google images of "turtle with prolapse" and see if that's what it is. We can't really help you much more without different pics :( but google that and see

adamlikesbananas

5 Year Member
lkwagner said:
Are you sure its "poop", google images of "turtle with prolapse" and see if that's what it is. We can't really help you much more without different pics :( but google that and see

Yeah it's definetly not a prolapse, I think he just pooped a little. I will get better pics ASAP if i can

ImageUploadedByTortForum1369851695.624085.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1369851736.869667.jpg

There, these are the best pics i can get.
Also I'm currently researching all turtle diseases to see what it is

Btw all the pics are of his butt if you can't already tell.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I can't tell by the pictures, but it could be that he has swallowed some rocks/pebbles and is having a hard time passing them.

adamlikesbananas

5 Year Member
Yvonne G said:
I can't tell by the pictures, but it could be that he has swallowed some rocks/pebbles and is having a hard time passing them.

I don't have any rocks he could eat. What can I do to help him if he has swallowed something?

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Perhaps there was a small pebble in the gravel that he ate. If it was, and he ate it, he's trying to poop it out. You can wait and see if he poops it out himself, or you can use a small eye dropper with only mineral oil and try to get some squirted up his butt. He's really too small...just a hatchling, so, you'd want to do it right. If you feel uncomfortable with it, and he hasn't pooped it out in a couple of days, I'd see a vet and let him do it. Is there any way you can take your thumb and index finger and get a hold of this lump and apply slight pressure so as to squeeze it out? I would first try that before anything else. He's so small...I hope you can do this. Btw, when i mentioned mineral oil, I mean just mineral oil; no other oil, no mix of mineral oil with something else. Just plain mineral oil.

adamlikesbananas

5 Year Member
sibi said:
Perhaps there was a small pebble in the gravel that he ate. If it was, and he ate it, he's trying to poop it out. You can wait and see if he poops it out himself, or you can use a small eye dropper with only mineral oil and try to get some squirted up his butt. He's really too small...just a hatchling, so, you'd want to do it right. If you feel uncomfortable with it, and he hasn't pooped it out in a couple of days, I'd see a vet and let him do it. Is there any way you can take your thumb and index finger and get a hold of this lump and apply slight pressure so as to squeeze it out? I would first try that before anything else. He's so small...I hope you can do this. Btw, when i mentioned mineral oil, I mean just mineral oil; no other oil, no mix of mineral oil with something else. Just plain mineral oil.

Thank you! The lump is a little too big to be a pebble, being that it is too large for him to have fit in his mouth.
Also, the "lump" has gone away! He has started eating and has become more friendly and has completely changed from the shy sickly turtle that didnt want to eat anything! :D

lizbeth490

5 Year Member
Pembroke Pines
Glad to her the little one is doing better, from what I could see in the pics it didnt look like anything to be too worried about :]

Status
Not open for further replies.