Help please (newbie questions, lighting, etc)

jennam1767

Okay so I bought my first red footed tortoise off a local selling page got him delivered and I don't know what to do about a couple things? Help please don't judge!

When I asked the boy a few simple questions it was clear he didn't have a clue what he was doing either(tortoise not had fruit or meat in 6 months) just pellets which weren't mixed to a paste! All he's done since I got him is eat! His bulb was also broken when delivered he had a Arcadia 80w basking lamp.. I couldn't afford another £45 for a bulb tonight as I'm not paid for another 2 weeks I was advised it would be okay to change to prorep 100w basking lamp! So here are my questions

Am I okay to change lamp over what will the differences be?

I was told to keep lamp on 12hrs is that better over night or threw the day?

And lastly I think I heard him sneeze and worried is eyes are a bit watery? Could this be cause lamps been broken 72hrs or should I get him to vets!

Thanks to everyone who can help me! Rather new but know I can give him a better home than he had :) x

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
RE: Help please

The lights will be fine as long as they are not a coil type. Leave them on for the 12 hours during the day. Have some heat that does not light up for night like a ceramic heat emitter. Because of the problems you are seeing, keep the temps at 85 day and night until he seems to get better. If he seems to get worse, then get him to a vet. The humidity should be 80% with the top layer if substrate being dry.

jennam1767

Help please

Okay thanks I only have a basking lamp at moment will look into night time heating :) he has the rest but need to get a thermometer as unsure of heat he is at! He came on saw dust so went up to pets at home earlier and got him some stuff thanks for advice will attach some picks tomorrow

Sorry what watt of ceramic heat emitter?? Thanks again and do I just change the bulbs over thanks

stinax182

5 Year Member
Springfield, Massachusetts
Re: Help please

there are some things it seems you need to buy to properly care for your tort. first would be a temperature gun like this
http://m.ebay.com/itm/130979214461?nav=SEARCH&sbk=1
with that you can accurately read all the temps in the enclosure.

your tortoise is a tropical forest tortoise which means they live in a hot and humid environment. the enclosure should never drop below 80°f which means you need a ceramic heat emitter (che) which is a bulb that creates heat without light so it can be used at night without bothering your tortoises sleeping. i would get one asap if your tort has watery eyes and is sneezing.

jennam1767

Help please

Thanks for your advice I'm going to my local pet store again tomorrow to get one! I wasn't advised I needed one! I'm an animal lover and have no desire to do what's wrong by him! Will just take a while to get used to what he needs I've already learnt so much in 24 hours but sometimes finances don't spread too far! And I under stand about the temperature gun but just don't under stand how I can take temp when he's like in a wooden box(no lid) and lights on a stick of wood(it's a proper tortoise box) I know I'm sounding really silly but if you seen the state this poor boy came in you'd understand he's already much better off with me!

stinax182

5 Year Member
Springfield, Massachusetts
Re: Help please

of course! i definitely understand the finance situation. improving takes time! and I'm sure he's in better hands now and especially since you found this forum :) and you probably won't find a temp gun in a pet store...either at home depot, lowes or online. the link i gave you is for ebay for 13$ free shipping...probably as cheap as you'll get. it works by simply by pointing the gun, which has a laser point, to the spot you wanna temp and holding the trigger for a second...the temp will pop up :) the disc type thermometers aren't reliable and take awhile to get readings, same thing with the probe ones and they're basically the same cost.

jennam1767

Help please

Okay great just need to find one closer to home as I'm in Scotland :) thanks very much for your help will get temp gun and ceramic heat ordered this week and hopefully that's him set for a whole as he has new belking bulb, sand mix(which got from pets at home), new flower pot to hide and plenty food as he really was hungry, will hopefully manage to sort sneezing soon to :) can't wait to spend plenty years looking after the beautiful boy :)

What's best watt of ceramic heat emitter to get thanks