Questions about lighting

Jenni

Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Suburbs of Chicago, Illinois
Alrighty so here's a question that's probably gonna sound a bit weird.

I know he doesn't need the basking lamp so I haven't used it other than just to flip it on to snap a couple photos. (The lamp is there because the enclosure was previously housing my Leopard.)

The lamp itself can be removed completely but I'd like to keep it there and see if I can find some sort of low heat bulb that will make the enclosure "look" warmer by giving off a nice low ambient light. With just the UVB the enclosure looks like a "garage" lol.
IMG_9829.jpgIMG_9842.jpgIMG_9843.jpgIMG_9844.jpgIMG_9845.jpgIMG_9840.jpg

Clamhandsmcgee

5 Year Member
Tennessee
Some people use a basking light on red foots, some don't. You can put a led light where the basking light was. They have "warm colored" led bulbs that doesn't put out any heat. You can also put a lower wattage incandescent light bulb in it, that way your daytime would be slightly warmer than your nighttime temperatures.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
I use basking lights for my group of cherryheads. Their enclosure is fairly large (4x8 ft) and it allows them to have a heating gradient. I have my CHE's and basking light on one end of the enclosure and the humidifier piped in to the opposite side. This provides them the option to get warmer or cool down. The cool end is always a minimum of 80ºF and the warm end remains at 84-85ºF (with a drop to 82.5 at night). I achieve this with a quality thermostat.

Clamhandsmcgee

5 Year Member
Tennessee
I like the idea of a temperature drop for a more natural setup. I also like the temperature gradient so that they can move to the temps that they want. Good info!