Humidity/puffy eyes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avocado034

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
With that to preface....

Ok, I live in a warm climate (new orleans).. Its humid almost all the time. I keep my heat on at least 68 (usually 72) in the winter and have my redfoots' mercury UV heat lamp on so it is 95 in basking area, but cold in the other part of enclosure (70º). The torts are hanging out in the warmer part of the enclosure, presumably because of the colder ambient temperatures. They are waking up by themselves, but their eyes have been puffy, which I know can be a symptom of low humidity. It is ALWAYS at least 60% humidity in their cage, but how I do I maintain a higher humidity. The ceramic heat emitter makes it REALLY dry and REALLY hot (90-105º throughout the entire cage, hotter nearer the lamp), so I have quit using it (and only kept to the UV mercury lamP). I spritz the moss several times a day. Tomorrow, i am going to revamp the cage with coconut fibre, playsand, and moss in hopes that it will retain more humidity. My torts (ever since I got them) were outside at LEAST 4 times a week for a few hours, but this is their first winter and have not been able to go out for two months. I am worried this is affecting their health.

Is this a good plan? Any other reason for puffy eyes? If it warms up for a few days, the puffy eyes go away. I live in a southern enviroment, but am really worried their indoor enclosure is not adequate without the outdoor supplements.

Thanks again yall

shawngt2

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Toronto
Avocado,

I would strongly recomend you read redfoots.com and follow that.
It has been working for many people, including myself.

1. MV Bulb much to powerful.
2. Heat source should preferably be over hide where it is easier to contain a humid environment. The main heat source over the open substrate will dry it out much to quickly.
3. MV bulbs are much to powerful for a redfoot (MV good for desert reptiles)
4. Your new approach won't fix the problem.

Hope this helps. REDFOOTS.COM (you can't go wrong with Terry's regime and what has proven to be good)

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Usually Redfoots get bubbles in their eyes when the humidity is low and not puffy eyes. With you using the MVB for heat and it being cool and them staying under the basking spot longer. I think they're getting to much UVB light and it's causing a problem with their eyes.
I would use the ceramic heat emitter for the basking spot and not the MVB. You can add a regular fluorescent bulb for light.
Redfoot eyes are very sensative and aren't used to high UVB exposure.
I would also go without the playsand in your new substrate. I would add topsoil to your mix instead of the playsand.

Danny

shawngt2

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Toronto
egyptiandan said:
Usually Redfoots get bubbles in their eyes when the humidity is low and not puffy eyes. With you using the MVB for heat and it being cool and them staying under the basking spot longer. I think they're getting to much UVB light and it's causing a problem with their eyes.
I would use the ceramic heat emitter for the basking spot and not the MVB. You can add a regular fluorescent bulb for light.
Redfoot eyes are very sensative and aren't used to high UVB exposure.
I would also go without the playsand in your new substrate. I would add topsoil to your mix instead of the playsand.

Danny

Agreed, I would recommend sphagnum moss vs soil because if you,re like me and like to take him out once in a while the moss is much cleaner. Fungus will also not grow on it if you accidentally keep the soil to wet for prolonged periods.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Avocado034, I do not know what type of enclosure you have your redfoot in but I too recommend you read www.redfoots.com and www.turtletary.com
I helped a RF with MBD with Terrys method. on sphargnum moss with a heat emitter no MVB the humidity stayed at about 70-80% and it recovered wonderfully. Mine was in a tupperware tub with the lid half on. I believe your RF is getting too much MVB and not enough humidity.

Status
Not open for further replies.