Help please

Status
Not open for further replies.

pam.d

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
uk
hi we have a 3year old sulcata tortoise shes about 14-15 inch long n about 9 inch wide, im not too sure as to what she should look like n dont no if she is pyramiding her shell is rather sensitive n she doesnt like it when you touch her, she sounds like she has wind all the time and this morning she was stuggling to walk my mum said it looked like she had no strength, has anyone got any ideas as to whats wrong with her?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Please post a pic for us. I like to use http://tinypic.com/ Just upload any size photo and then copy/paste the IMG code into your forum post.

I remember from your intro that you live in the UK. What do you do for housing, heat and UV over there? Does your tortoise get lots of sunshine, weeds and exercise during the warm weather months? What do you feed and what is your calcium supplementation routine? Sounds like she's either too cold or might be having Metabolic Bone Disease issues. I don't want to alarm you or prematurely jump to conclusions, so lets wait until we get some more info.

pam.d

5 Year Member
uk
she has a 4ft tank with her heater n uv light that she can get in and out of, but shes normally wonderin around the house bein nosey. she cant really go out side much as we dont get alot of warm weather n she can only eat weeds in the summer, she eats alot of hay n letiuce n a bit of kale n the odd strawberry as a treat, she also has cuttle bone in her tank to nibble on for calcium but shes only recenty started havin that as we dint no she was suppose to have it.

im not sure how to up load pics but here goes

9vhbw0.jpg
[/img]

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
The pyramiding is pretty severe and by now I don't think there's much you can do to reverse it. How humid and how hot are you keeping her? She should be living in an enclosure with around 80% humidity with ambient temps of 85F during the day and a basking spot of 110F. If you can keep her humid right now the pyramiding won't get any worse. But if you keep her humid, keep her hot. Hot and humid is fine, COOL AND HUMID will cause problems.

I agree with Tom about the diet. I don't think you're supplementing enough. Your tortoise should get calcium daily and D3 three times a week, so you can use a calcium/D3 combination three times a week and regular calcium carbonate (with no D3) 4 times a week. Your diet doesn't sound too good, no offence. They should get fresh grass such as buffalo grass, bermuda grass, fescue, lawn grass, wheatgrass, and bluestem. Timothy hay (if that's what you're feeding) should also be included. Grass should consist of at least 75% of a sulcata's diet.
The remaining 25% should be weeds/flowers/greens. For weeds, dandelions, plantago major, plantago lanceolata, mallow, hawkbits, cat's ears, sowthistle, and chicory should be fed. Flowers such as hibiscus, nasturtiums, and gazanias should also be included regularly. You may feed Mediterranean salad or rocket salad in the winter when nothing else is available. No fruit should be given, as they may cause parasite blooms in the intestines of sulcatas.
I know it sounds like a long list, but you can grow the grass and flowers indoors (or outdoors when the weather permits) and all the weeds I've listed are regularly found in the UK.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Pam:

Your sulcata is suffering from Metabolic Bone Disease (MBD) and it is quite severe. The reason it seems to be weak is because it IS weak. This means the tortoise's bones are calcium starved and the muscles are weak.

The bad thing about letting your tortoise roam around the house it that keeps it away from its UVB light. The tortoise MUST HAVE UVB from either the sun or from a good UVB light in order for the calcium it eats to work. If there is no UVB, the calcium just goes right out in the urine.

It is a necessity for you to get that tortoise onto a calcium regimen immediately. The vet can get it started with injections, and then you have to follow up.

And, remember: all the calcium in the world isn't going to do any good without vitamin D from either the sun or a good UVB light.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Welcome to the group! You have got some great advice. I'd add that you should create an enclosure large enough so that the tort can stay in it, safe and warm, without roaming the house. Make sure you have a good UVB like a Mercury Vapor Bulb (MVB), replaced at least yearly. If you currently have a tube or coil UVB, those need to be replaced at least every 6 months to have adequate output. That plus the daily calcium, humidity, space for exercise, and improved diet should help your tort's health.

What is your plan for when she gets huge? Sulcatas get too large to keep indoors...but they must be kept warm. With her size already, you are looking at an indoor habitat need the size of a bedroom. Please understand we're not trying to pick on you...we just want your tort to be happy and healthy. MBD can be painful: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread...ses-with-Metabolic-Bone-Disease#axzz1Do0Uqipv so its very important to try to turn this around now. If you can take some photos of the current enclosure, we may be able to give you some pointers specific to what you already have.

Does it sound like she is wheezing? Any bubbles or discharge from the nose or mouth?

Good luck!

pam.d

5 Year Member
uk
thank you for all your advice

shes not ours my brother just left her here when he had a kid n we really need to find someone who can offer her a better home n better care so if anyone nos anywhere in the uk that take tortoises we would be very great full for your help

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
I noticed that there are a lot of people from the UK on shelled warriors. I would suggest posting your thread there and maybe get a local sulcata owner that could take her off your hands

onarock

5 Year Member
Hawaii
Pam, from the sound of your OP, I would think a vet is order first and foremost. Beyond that, I would be leary of attempting to provide such extreme conditions that tortoises101 suggested. I would say 28-29c relative temp with a basking spot of 35c and 60-70% relative humidity untill the tortoise begins to get its strenght back. After that... its up to you.

pam.d

5 Year Member
uk
shes been to the vet but he said she was fine n dandy, even tho i dont think she is ok theres not much more i can do. ill just alter her diet n keep her warm n see how she goes.

thanks fernando ill have a look

Wirewehear

10 Year Member!
So. Cal desert
pam.d said:
shes been to the vet but he said she was fine n dandy, even tho i dont think she is ok theres not much more i can do. ill just alter her diet n keep her warm n see how she goes.

thanks fernando ill have a look

Yes, there is more you can do, find a different Vet. If that Vet didnt give you better instruction than "she's fine and dandy" then he isnt a good vet. Sorry ... like in any profession there are good ones and not so good ones. You need a second opinion. I wish her well.

Status
Not open for further replies.