Help Please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

djschantz

5 Year Member
Ok. So Ive had my baby leopard tortoise for about 2 months now. He would eat and poop on a regular basis, daily actually. But for the last week and a half to two weeks he seems to just pass right by his food. Ive seen him pick at the substrate a bit (the coconut coir not the mulch), and he hasnt pooped in a few days. I soak him daily, the substrates in his enclosure is half cypress mulch, and the other half is coconut coir. He is under a murcury vapor bulb on one side, and I use a ceramic heat emiter at night. Ive been feeding him a pretty varied diet: dandelion greens, wheat grass, opuntia pads, mustard greens, hibiscus leaves and flowers, nasturtium leaves and flowers, and mulberry leaves. I put a calcium D3 powder on his food once every 3 to 4 days and I use a supplement by AVI called "Sunshine Factor" that was recommended by a local reptile vet. If anyone can help my tortoise and I ( his name is Khanti), we would both be so happy! Maybe I am just being overly paranoid but I just want to make sure nothing is wrong with him. Thank you!

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
Welcome what are your temp's ? has he eaten anything in the last two week?

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Arizona
Is his behavior any different and do you see any visual abnormalities (runny nose, eyes swollen, plastron discolored, etc)?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi djschantz:

Welcome to the forum!!

May we know your name and where you are?

Check your temperatures again to be sure he's warm enough. They won't eat if they can't get warm enough to digest their food.

djschantz

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Hi djschantz:

Welcome to the forum!!

May we know your name and where you are?

Check your temperatures again to be sure he's warm enough. They won't eat if they can't get warm enough to digest their food.

He took a big dump today and he is eating a bit but still not munching like he used to. The warm side of his enclosure is between 90 and 95. I am in AZ.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
djschantz said:
He took a big dump today and he is eating a bit but still not munching like he used to. The warm side of his enclosure is between 90 and 95. I am in AZ.

What part of AZ? If you're in the Phoenix area, try getting him outside for an hour or so. We've had some really nice weather lateley. The warm temps and natural sunlight might get him to want to eat more.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
feed some pumpkin. not the pie filling but non spiced canned pumpkin. it will help move things along the digestive track. Also nice warm soaks.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
We need to know more about your temps. Cool side, warm side, basking spot and night. With that sort of substrate (which is really good for them, in my opinion) it is imperative that he not get cool. I don't like to go below 80 at any time anywhere in the cage. Are you seeing any sign of respiratory illness? Has he been getting much sunshine? And finally, what sort of care did he get before you got him? Was he kept on rabbit pellets with no water bowl for the first few weeks?

djschantz

5 Year Member
Yeah I havent been taking him outside much. Ill try that for a while and see if it helps. Also, the cool side is about 75º. Sould I put a heat mat under it? Basking is 100º or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.