HELP?? (reverse pyramiding)

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK Sheffield
Hi,
And yes everyone on here says he is a Yellowfoot but after the 2 long scales he does have one scale over
his hole nose? lol Cant see it in pics I have tried? lol
OK. I think he's a yellowfoot. so when you got him from the pet shop, from dryish conditions. Did he already have those squirly marks on his scutes.

Kelly71

london ontario canada
Hi,
No he did not have those marks? And that book I saw had different sections on different torts
but also had stuff on different types of reptiles also. Hope that helps? lol

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Hi,
No he did not have those marks? And that book I saw had different sections on different torts
but also had stuff on different types of reptiles also. Hope that helps? lol
Thank you. Let us know on the progress with squiggly lines please.

Kelly71

london ontario canada
Hi,
Well I dont know now what this person said to me about them? Emailed me again I think he thinks
it is shell rot which it is not? He said after the scales rot they will fall off? And to use athletes foot
cream. Which I know someone showed me some posts on there about the swirly lines bubble
marks and they tried that on those marks and that does not work on them? Does no one here
know what those marks really are from for sure? Thanks

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It's a normal, healthy baby tortoise. Most baby tortoises have those white swirls inside the keratin. I was told once a very long time ago that it was the calcium working its way through the shell. If you need an answer, you can believe that one or not. I believed it for many years.

Octavious22

5 Year Member
California
That's not pyramiding. Those are thick growth rings. Your torts shell needs hydration, soak and spray your tort frequently especially hatchlings they need hydration.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
And on another note, Yellowfoots are a forest species, like a real forest with a great deal of leaf litter on the forest floor. A small tortoise would be in a jungle of leaves bigger than it. That micro climate among all those leaves on a forest floor under bushes, vines, and trees is so very humid. It is also a place with many small 'bugs' the tortoise will eat, isopods (pill bugs), and small snails are slow enough for tortoises to catch and eat. Snails have much needed protein, and calcium in the shell. Really small snails also are soft and easily eaten. I do not know the calcium content of isopods, but they too are soft and easily eaten, they will also gut load on whatever you feed the tortoise.

All neonates/baby tortoises do not live 'out in the open'. They know they are essentially a good diet item them-self for just about everything out there as they are calcium rich food items themselves. Clumps of sphagnum moss or large leaves are good ways to keep that micro climate where you want it, they hold moisture and allow the tortoise to move about under cover. The isopods are used extensively in what some call bio-active enclosures. You can get any one of a few species that are different sizes and color (all naturally occurring).

All books become old as soon as they are printed. the collection and accumulation, collation and synthesis of information happens faster than a book can be conceived, and published. Yellowfoots are omnivores, not 'pure' herbivores. Some small 'bugs' as I have suggested can help keep the tank clean, provide behavioral enrichment (the tortoise has a hobby of stalking and eating them) and they can be a good source of valuable nutrients.

As far as Madder's book goes, if that is the book, many vets use it, it's a good reference, but it's not a primary source for husbandry, but rather medicine. I feel no hesitation to suggest the body of knowledge here on TFO surpasses the husbandry information provided in that book. What bits of info to use? That's what can be challenging. I think you have had a good bit of solid husbandry advice here in this thread.

Kelly71

london ontario canada
Hi Will,
Wow thats a mouth full. lol Thanks for your info. Do you happen to know what those swirly bubble
marks are on Sunnys shell? Thanks