Help sick baby box turtle?

Nikki-

Location (City and/or State)
Sc
I just got my baby 3 toed box turtle of of tortoise town. after I received it, i Red how bad they were. It keeps opening its mouth and making a bubbly Squeaking noise, It is lethargic, And kind of has a stinky smell. I don't know what to do! Please help!

Attachments

• 20211103_140207.jpg
    20211103_140207.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 44
  • 20211103_140201.jpg
    20211103_140201.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 43
  • 20211102_141601.jpg
    20211102_141601.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 43

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I just got my baby 3 toed box turtle of of tortoise town. after I received it, i Red how bad they were. It keeps opening its mouth and making a bubbly Squeaking noise, It is lethargic, And kind of has a stinky smell. I don't know what to do! Please help!
Sounds like your received a sick turtle. Which unfortunately is the norm with Tortoise Town. Best you can do right now is keep the dude warm, mid to upper 80s F.

Noelluene

Shenzhen, China
is there any fluid coming out from its nose or mouth?

in any case keep it warm and hydrated but don't blast it with uv light

Nikki-

Sc
This is so unfortunate. What is your set up right now for your baby? Was he lethargic as soon as you received him?
Yes he was lethargic and gasping. Also when I received him I instantly placed him in shallow warm filtered water around 80°-85°F for 10-20 minutes hopeing it would help him. I received him with ups overnight shipping he was supposed to be in a heated Insulated box but unfortunately wasn't and was freezing cold
Sadly 20 minutes after I posted (I had set him in a warm damp and shady spot ) I found him stiff and dead (I am devastated, I spent the last 8 hours crying) I also called and complained to customer service about him not being shipped in a heated box like promised it was 50°-40°F out.
They are shipping out another baby (hopefully in a heated box) since they don't do refunds. they said it was the only option.
I am extremely mad, and am praying this next baby is healthy for the turtles sake.

Nikki-

Sc
This is so unfortunate. What is your set up right now for your baby? Was he lethargic as soon as you received him?
I had him in this the soil is very damp and I have a mist bottle I sprayed the enclosure with every hour or so the temperature in the enclosure was around 75°-85° F and humidity 80%-90% I have a uvb/uva 100w bulb. Is this enclosure fine for a baby box turtle? (I know it wasn't the enclosure or my fault since he was like this the moment I got him)

Attachments

• 20211103_160414.jpg
    20211103_160414.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 19

Nikki-

Sc
is there any fluid coming out from its nose or mouth?

in any case keep it warm and hydrated but don't blast it with uv light
Yes a kind of mucus would sometimes bubble out of its nose or mouth and making a gargling Squeaking sounds as it stretched out it's mouth while gasping. I also posted a reply above with more details about what happened.

Noelluene

Shenzhen, China
Yes a kind of mucus would sometimes bubble out of its nose or mouth and making a gargling Squeaking sounds as it stretched out it's mouth while gasping. I also posted a reply above with more details about what happened.
Right. It's likely a respiratory tract problem then. Provide plenty of water because it is losing a lot of water right now... But do not make the air too humid because it is struggling to breathe right now. Keep it warm and keep the substrate wet. Keep the entire area as well ventilated as possible.

I know this isn't an option for everyone but vet is its best bet right now.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
I am so sorry for your loss. I am surprised tortoise town answered the phone and agreed to send you a new turtle. Good luck.

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
Hey Nikki...we only control what is within our ability to control. We don't cry about things we cannot control they are neither your fault nor yours to gain from. This experience is not a total loss....you found this forum. I am old and have read 80% of everything on the Net....you landed in the best place you could have! The pics you posted of Turtle#1 was obviously sick. 90% of the time his "look" is the look of an advanced respiratory infection. The little guy just didn't have enough overhead left to give you the time to help him....but kudo's to you for trying!!

I'm sure your new little guy will be in very, very good hands. You have a good enclosure for a baby but you might want to get one end of it wet. Think "Bog" more than "forrest"....they, especially the little ones like it really wet!

When you are ready, come over to the Box Turtle section and peek at some of the resident guys....there's a bunch of us that love those little guys!

jeff

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Yes he was lethargic and gasping. Also when I received him I instantly placed him in shallow warm filtered water around 80°-85°F for 10-20 minutes hopeing it would help him. I received him with ups overnight shipping he was supposed to be in a heated Insulated box but unfortunately wasn't and was freezing cold
Sadly 20 minutes after I posted (I had set him in a warm damp and shady spot ) I found him stiff and dead (I am devastated, I spent the last 8 hours crying) I also called and complained to customer service about him not being shipped in a heated box like promised it was 50°-40°F out.
They are shipping out another baby (hopefully in a heated box) since they don't do refunds. they said it was the only option.
I am extremely mad, and am praying this next baby is healthy for the turtles sake.
Tortoise Town really shipped this turtle with no heat pack when it was 40 degrees outside?

Nikki-

Sc
I am so sorry for your loss and please let us know how your new baby is
I got it! My thoughts now are that they tried to scam me With the other baby, Since I ordered a 3 toed Box turtle and the other one didn't really look like it and had 4 toes. The Box this time came with a heat pack and a bigger container for the turtle which had no stink or smell like the other container I put the turtle in warm water again and this time it was really active and seems in all in better shape. This baby Box turtle also came looking more like a 3 toe and has 3 toes on its back feet.
Also how is this enclosure set up? I emptied and threw away the dirt from before and cleaned the tub and rock with soap and water. I watched a video someone shared and tried my best to set up the enclosure like that. I'm also going to get some fake plants to put in their.
20211104_123822.jpg20211104_123835.jpg

ZenHerper

New Jersey
Congrats!

Make sure your temperature is about 85*F all through the nursery box. Keep it nice and wet.

Is that sphagnum moss? I prefer the Asian moss that comes in a compressed brick (the stems are thinner and shorter, in case of ingestion--and they rot more slowly).

Babies need to feel hidden all day -- they will burrow once they figure out they can't escape by running around. Using potted plants helps provide the cover they would naturally enjoy in the wild. Pothos, Spider, Hosta, Prayer plant, Chinese evergreen all work well. Use a plain potting mix (NO pesticides or insecticides). If you don't use pots, the turtle will dig them up, and with a mossery, the roots will get too much water.

Turtle hatchlings are generally 100% carnivorous. Large earthworms (nightcrawlers), small slugs, pill bugs, meat-based turtle pellets (avoid any that list a grain as a top-five ingredient). They may accept small bits of brightly colored over-ripe berries (strawberry, blueberry).

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
SUPER HABITAT!!!

FWIW; my little one taught me that my rocks were bad....she kept looking at me upside-down when I entered the room! They always seem to find the one much-contrived angle where they can get themselves into trouble.....

Best of luck and be sure to read the sheets....they were written by folks who love 'em too!

Hoghoney67

Saugus California
???

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
Nikki, I'm so sorry, you had to go through this. I almost think, Tort Town sent you that baby knowing it was ill. Hopefully this new baby will thrive with the new enclosure.
We are always here to offer help and suggestions.
Best of luck with the new ?