Help: Sluggish/weak moving Russian tortoise

Geng

5 Year Member
Dear people,

Excuse me for the long post coming, but as a beginning pet tortoise keeper I could really use some help.

Intro:

For one month I'm the proud and happy owner of my very first pet: a 1-year old female Russian tortoise. Tortoises were my favorite animals since I was a little kid and still are. I'm really want a long, happy and healthy life for my little buddy, so I've been roaming around on Tortoise forum daily for handy tips and advice. Till this day I'm constantly worried about her though. I can barely leave my house for a hour before I start going crazy that my tortoise has done something dangerous (like flipped on her back). After a nervous few days she seems to enjoy her new home: walking around, taking naps in the basking spots, likes to climb, eating, pooping etc. First she was hestitate to go eat when I gave her food, but now she immidiately walks to her food pile when I put it down for her. Everything looked fine and I was satisfied.

Problem/question:

However, today and yesterday weren't easy for me. Yesterday (tuesday) she ate normal, but after her lunch she fell asleep and would stay asleep the whole day. She hasn't even moved from her spot. The sun was shining and the temperature was 24C/75F. I put her enclosure outside. She started to wake up and I gave her some endive (which she really loves). After a bit nimbing she went back to her hide out to sleep. When she walked to her hide out I noticed she was a bit sluggish moving. I hoped she would act normal today. Today (wednesday) when she came out of her hide I soaked her for 30 min. She looked alive and kicking, and I was happy about that. I put her back in her enclosure and gave her food (endive). Sadly, her movement was still a bit slow . She didn't ate much again and immidiately went to sleep on the stone plate where I put her food. Normally she would walk around a bit and nap in the basking spot. I found it strange though, and I got really worried when she was moving in and out of her shell in a weak looking movement. After a 1 - 1,5 hour not moving from her spot I gave her a 15 min soak. I put her back, walked around a little bit (sluggish again) and fell asleep again. She would also put her head back in when she saw my hand, which she usually doesn't. I was getting extremely worried and started looking for a good vet that has experience with reptiles. Most good vets were far away from my home, but luckily I found a good vet that was close (40 min ride). Sadly, when I called for an appointment the reptile doctor is on holiday for 3 weeks...

I was in despair and felt extremely hopeless. My mind went crazy and I began to think that my tortoise would die. However, out of nowhere she woke up and started walking around and exploring every corner of her enclosure. Going in and out her hides, walking in her water dish, taking a dump and wee, and climbing on the big log. Her movement didn't looked sluggish at all. I put down a pile of hawkbits, dandelions and endive. She was on the other side of the enclosure, and immidiately walked to it when she saw the food. She would even eat from my hand. She seemed like how she was before. I was relieved and exhausted by all the stress, but I was really happy that is acting normal (for now...).

I'm planning to check the vet after the reptile doctor comes back, and go for a medical exam. But in the meantime I hope you guys could give me some great tips and feedback how I can improve the care for my tortoise, and hopefully also a reason and anwser about the above situation. I still have alot of question, but I hope that you guys can help me first with this one.

Basic information:

Enclosure: rabbit cage
Lamps: Reptech 80W Merc. vap. bulb UV, Reptech 20W basking lamp
Temperatures: basking spot 95-100F, warm side 85F, cool side 75F, night 75F (room temperature)
Substrate: Coco coir (mist daily 3x)
Diet: spring mix, endive, weeds from garden: dandelions, hawkbits (she prefers spring mix and endive though).
Soaks: daily 20 min
Supplement: Miner All calcium/mineral, cuttlebone

toby.jpg Screenshot_2015-07-23-01-13-03.png

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
A rabbit cage is not really a good home for a tortoise. Best if they can't see out and the cage being so open, there is no humidity being held in. Most of the heat is escaping also. Are you reading temps and humidity at tort level? It is also too small for a russian or really any tort. Russians roam and cover a lot of ground in the wild. Try giving her at lease a 3-4feet x 6-8 feet minimum. Also, how much are you feeding? She looks a little on the thin side to me. My russian during the warm months stays outside from 9-5, grazes if he wants and then I feed him a hand full of greens when he comes in at 5. He always has food left over the next day. @Tom can give more help

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Have you read the care sheet? Most vets won't be able to help you improve your care.

What is a basking lamp? What is its point when you use the mercury vapor bulb?

Don't mist the substrate, pour water in directly. It should stay damp for a few days, at least on the bottom, if the substrate is deep enough. Mist puts humidity in the air & doesn't penetrate far enough or add enough volume. The picture shows a very dry substrate. That's an easy fix.

Your rabbit cage is too small and the open wire does not hold humidity.

Taking the habitat outside in full sun is risky. A tortoise that is too cold or too hot will be sluggish & lose it's appetite.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Spokane Valley WA
He is adorable! The care guides in the Russian section will really help you. Check out the enclosure section as well.
Welcome to the forum.

WillTort2

5 Year Member
You have already received some great advice. At such a young age it's difficult to determine the sex of a Russian tortoise. So, don't be surprised if she turns out to be a he.

From looking at your pictures I'm guessing your tort may be a little dehydrated. The younger torts grow heathy when exposed to a higher humidity.

The open tables work well for adult Russian torts but a covered enclosure is better for younger torts.

Good luck.

Geng

5 Year Member
Thanks for the feedback guys, I will certainly make use of it. Keep the advice coming when you guys notice something :)